Chapter 4

I opened and closed my mouth several times, trying to voice all my tangled emotions. Taking a shaky breath, I closed my eyes and swallowed hard. "We have to find her." I didn't recognize my voice. It was empty. Emotionless. Shock—I had most likely gone into shock.

Jonah and Drew exchanged another glance at my words. The former took a stroke towards me, his hands out in front of him placatingly. "We will, Faye. I promise. But we don't even know where they went. Why don't we meet up with your parents and see what they can do?"

Jonah's eyes had never left my face as he'd spoken, concern flashing across his face. Drew nodded his assent at Jonah's question, swimming to my side and gently taking my hand. "Jonah's right, Faye. Mom and Dad will know what to do."

I nodded wordlessly and let him guide me out of our suite and down the hall. His grip on my hand and Jonah's steady hand on my back kept me upright. Mom's face was pale and streaked with tears as she opened the door. Upon seeing my face, she broke down all over again. Dad was more composed, though grief and worry were plain on his face.

"I tried to contact Laguna, but I haven't heard anything. I managed to get word to Izzy and Nerissa, and all of them are out looking. We should start a preliminary search of her usual spots: her house, the Bronze Mermaid, and the school." Dad's eyes lingered on me as he finished speaking.

I merely nodded, my hands curled into fists at my sides. Mom glanced at me before speaking. "David, Drew, you two take..." A roaring in my ears quickly drowned out her voice.

I turned and made a beeline for the entryway. My heart pounded in my ears, barely audible over the roaring. I'd search day and night if I had to—until exhaustion and fatigue won out. As torn up as I was inside, I would not abandon Waverly.

A hand wrapped around my wrist, stopping me inches from the doors. I turned and met Jonah's worried eyes. "Faye, listen to me. I know you're hurting. But don't give up. We will find her."

I didn't speak—merely nodded again as I emerged into the open water. Logic had slowly begun to penetrate my shock-addled mind. And just like that, I knew where Waverly was.

I swam faster than ever, my lungs working tirelessly to pull in water and push it out. I was mentally berating myself for not realizing it sooner—for letting my grief, guilt, and anger blind me. I'd been so focused on finding Waverly—and not letting my emotions consume me—that I'd completely blocked out the memory of the life-changing event just two years ago.

Aunt Izzy and Uncle Kai had met me at Aegrem's entrance, concern and worry on their faces as they scanned me from head to tail. I'd been near-hysterical with panic and fear, struggling to organize my thoughts. The former had spoken, concern evident in her voice.

When I'd finally calmed down enough to speak, I took a deep breath and recounted what had happened until then. Aunt Izzy had taken my hand, her voice small and filled with concern and fear. Uncle Kai's eyes had gone hard, and his mouth had tightened, but he hadn't said anything.

I took a sharp breath and recalled what I'd asked, how cowardly I'd felt. I knew that if I'd stopped again, I wouldn't have been able to keep going. Uncle Kai had cautioned me, but I'd cut him off, struggling to manage my spiraling emotions. That's when it happened again—ten times stronger. I'd heard Waverly's voice, her fear palpable as if she'd been right beside me.

Then the Siren Song began again. Uncle Kai had suddenly touched my arm, his grip gentle but firm. The way he'd said my name was deadly calm but edged with panic. My heart had been in my throat as I'd looked up, following his gaze, never expecting my worst nightmare to come true.

The thing I'd always been terrified of but had never realized until that moment—Waverly floating beside Kailani, with the latter holding a dagger to the former's throat. When Jonah spoke, I flinched. His eyes were wide as he scanned my face. "Faye? Are you okay?"

I couldn't answer. My eyes filled with tears as I recalled my friend's face—her wide eyes, her blank gaze. She'd been in shock. I remembered Kailani's words, the usual smugness in her voice. I shuddered, tears dripping down my cheeks as my own words floated back to me, the desperation in my voice.

When she'd said those five words, it was like every sea creature had been holding their breath. "'Long time no see, sister.'"

I had been so focused on what was happening around me that I hadn't noticed where we were. Somewhere I went almost every single day without even realizing it. Jonah spoke again, his voice softer this time. "Faye? What is it?"

A cold sense of calm settled over me as I faced him. "I know where Waverly is." Drew caught up with us a heartbeat later, gaze flicking between Jonah and me.

Breathlessly, I met Jonah's gaze, then Drew's. The swim to Aegrem's entrance had never seemed longer. It was dusk when I reached it, the sunset shining down into the water. I spotted a familiar grey tail with purple splotches hidden in a large cluster of seaweed behind a rock and couldn't stop myself from crying out. "Waverly!"

The word had barely left my mouth, the echo still lingering in the water as Waverly slowly emerged from behind the rock. She was unharmed, except for the ripped sleeves of her dress.

That wasn't what stopped my heart in my chest and stole the water from my lungs, however. What had me choking on a strangled cry with fear, anger, and shame forming a knot in my stomach was the hollow look in Waverly's eyes as she stared blankly at me.

She didn't even seem to notice I was there. From my quick scan of her body, I could detect no physical wounds, but I quickly concluded the actual damage went far deeper than that. The way she wrapped her arms around herself told me enough. I took a deep breath, erasing any trace of emotion from my face.

I kept my hands firmly at my sides, albeit curled into fists. "Waverly?" I asked softly, my voice barely more than a whisper. "It's me. Faye. Can you hear me?"

No response. I stared at my friend, feeling horror and shock as I wondered what trauma she'd been forced to endure. "Your mother has been worried sick about you. We all have. Why don't you come back with me, and we'll sit somewhere quiet, just the two of us?" Despite her lack of communication, I knew she didn't want to—and shouldn't—be alone right now.

Nevertheless, she followed me when I began the journey back to Pelathas. Every time I looked at her, nausea swirled around inside me. I was angry—furious, even—but not at her, never at her. I directed my anger at Zander for forcing his daughter to undergo emotional and mental torture.

When the familiar entrance to Pelathas came into view, I had to bite back a cry. The moon was shining high above us now; I'd guess it was midnight or later. I stiffened as I saw several figures swimming toward us. Once they saw my face, none of them said a word.

Mom and Laguna immediately focused on Waverly while Drew swam to me, taking my hands and meeting my gaze. His eyes were full of concern and worry and anger, but whatever he saw on my face convinced him not to press.

When we finally got to our suite, when Jonah and I were finally alone, was when I allowed myself to break down. It started as quiet sniffles, then escalated into full-on sobbing. Jonah never spoke; he just held me as I cried. He kissed my head when I mumbled incoherent things into his chest; he tightened his hold when my hands balled into fists, and I beat them against his ribs.

"I'm so sorry, Faye," he whispered, the words full of heartbreak, pain, fury, and grief. Zander had done to me what he'd intended from the start—break me so irrevocably, so permanently, that I would never be whole again.

Read and review!