That Still Small Voice

An earthquake went through Storybrooke.

Well it wasn't exactly an earthquake. More like a shift in the curse.

The Mills family went to the abandoned mines of Storybrooke, Regina telling her children to stay back from everything. Emma, Sheriff Graham, and many citizens of Storybrooke were also there, trying to figure out what had happened.

"Sheriff, set up a police perimeter," Regina said to him before turning to Marco, the town's handyman. "Marco, why don't you help with the fire department?" She turned to see Emma with the sheriff. "Miss Swan, this is now official town business. You're free to go."

"Well, actually, I work for the town now," Emma said.

When Reagan overheard Emma say this, she was quick to look over at the blonde. Sure enough, on the loop of Emma's jeans was a deputy badge. The teen smiled to herself. The older savior was here to stay.

"Emma's my new deputy," Sheriff Graham explained to Regina.

"They say the mayor's always last to know," Regina replied.

"It's in my budget."

"Indeed. Deputy, why don't you be useful and help with crowd control?" The mayor turned to her citizens. "People of Storybrooke, don't be alarmed. We all know this area was honeycombed with old mining tunnels, but fear not. I'm going to undertake a project to make this area safe. To rehabilitate it for city use, we will bulldoze it, collapse it, pave it."

"Pave it?" Reagan said, pushing through the crowd, getting to her mother. "What if there's something down there?"

Her mother looked over at her and whispered, "Reagan, what are you doing?"

"What's down there?" the teen whispered back.

"Nothing. Now step back. In fact everyone please, please step back. Thank you. Let's go boys."

Serenity turned away only for something to catch her interest. Out of the corner of her eye, there was a small light. She went over to it and crouched down to find a shard of glass. The brunette gasped, knowing that it was significant. She picked it up and quickly pocketed it, trying to figure out what to do.

Reagan noticed this at the same time as Emma. The ravenette went to the blonde and asked, "What was that?"

"Reagan, enough," Regina said, walking over to her daughter. "Listen, this is a safety issue. Wait in the car with your brother and sister. Deputy Swan, Sheriff, cordon off the area."

Serenity went to go to her mother's Mercedes, only for someone to pull her back. She tried to fight the hold only to find that it was Eva.

"You scared me," Serenity said.

"What's going on?" Eva asked.

"What do you mean? You can see it, the mines collapsed."

"Then what was that glass?" she asked, gesturing to her jean's pocket.

"What glass?"

"The shard of glass that you just picked up. You can tell me."

"Don't worry about it," the younger girl quickly replied. "It's nothing."

"Nothing?" the older one asked as she went to turn away. "Serenity, stop lying to me!"

"I'm not lying."

"Please, you can tell me anything."

The girl looked around, trying to figure out what to do. She wanted her to know everything, that way she could truly be herself. Maybe then she would be comfortable with making whatever they were official. She stole a glance over to Regina who was distracted, then to her siblings to see them reluctantly making their way to the car, talking to one another.