X.The Unexpected

I often used to hear the saying, 'Expect the Unexpected' when I was struggling during the initial days of my acting career. Going home with over fifty rejections on your back was the heaviest weight I had to carry those days. Going home dejected, defeated and tired was like a daily part of my hectic routine. My mum always found some ways to make my day a tad bit better, be it by making my favorite food, forcing me to watch a movie with her or making me vent out to relieve the stress of my overwhelming emotions. Her words of encouragement were enough to wake up me next day and try all over again. I tried until I couldn't anymore because I reached where I wanted to be. I never expected this life for myself but somewhere along the way of this long journey of life, I have come to believe that miracles do happen and they happen when we least expect them. Win checking up on me when I didn't expect him to has been a testament to this belief. Win has always been a friend who cares too much about a person he loves. I have been the recipient of that immense care. But his recent actions have shaken the foundation I laid about him in my mind, my heart. I don't blame him for not loving me. Its okay if he doesn't feel the same, I can accept that. But what still hurts the most is the fact he left. He left and didn't turn back. I thought him checking up on me through my mum meant he still carried that love and care for me as a friend. But no. Its been over a month with no contact from him. The last I heard from him was the phone call I stupidly made. Since then no calling me, no calling my mum, nothing. He took out of the knife he stabbed in my heart, just to stab more mercilessly this time by giving me hope. Hope for us. The scar he left is still fresh on my heart, it would take time to let it dry and heal. It may not be bleeding now but it pains all the same it did a month ago.

The incessant ringing of my doorbell breaks me from my reverie. Then I remember, my mum is not at home so I would have to receive whoever is stupid enough to ring someone's door in the afternoon. I mean its time for a nap after lunch. Don't they know the conventions? This person has to choose this particular time only to come and disturb me when my mum has gone out with her friends for shopping. I am taking her out for a much needed vacation. Well, I am taking her for a vacation to enjoy while I am just looking for an escape. Escape from all of this. I want to fly out of this country and never look back. I wanna go somewhere where there will be no trace of him, no trace of me and start afresh. But that is my delusional mind's wishes. Practicality says I need to stay here and continue with my life, however bad or directionless it may seem.

The person behind the door would not gonna give up, would they? I groan and rise from my comfortable beanbag. I walk towards the main door sulking and push open the door.

'What do you- Win?' My eyes open wide in disbelief. Am I dreaming? Am I that delusional that I started dreaming of him? Ohh god, I need to see someone. I am losing my mind and before I go completely insane, I should get myself into admitted in a psychiatric hospital. But what about the vacation. The tickets will go to waste-

'Can I come in?' I hear a hoarse voice, and I look at the scene in front of me. He is still here and he is speaking? Oh my god, he is actually here. But before I can react, he again says, 'Please, don't say no. I.. I need to talk to you. Please.' His voice breaks in between and my resolve to never let him come near me again weakens. He looks so defeated and tired. He has huge bags under his eyes, his cheeks sunken and lips chapped. He doesn't look like the Win Metawin who always looks effortlessly handsome. Right now, it looks like he needs some rest. My eyes collide with his desperate ones, begging me to let him in. So I let him. I am gonna regret it so bad but I do it anyways.

I move away from the door, silently inviting him in. His eyes widens in surprise but they shine in gratitude nonetheless. He walks past me, into the hall, his eyes taking the environment in. I move behind him and gesture him to sit on the sofa kept nearby. He takes a seat and motions me to do the same. I keep a safe distance from him and take a seat on the the very end of the sofa. He looks disappointed but doesn't comment on it.