VIII.The Confusion

I stop dead in my track as I see him standing in the front of CEO's large desk situated in the middle of the room. He averts his eyes from me almost immediately and focus on what the CEO was saying. They were speaking in hushed voices as I stand there trying not to stare at him but he is all I can look at. I try to see any sign of distress or anything that might indicate that he is feeling as miserable as me. That this is difficult for him too but I see nothing. He is his usual charming self, speaking with an air of confidence and superiority around him. Everybody knows how influential he is and they respect/fear him for it. Not me though. I have nothing to do with his fame, wealth or whatever these people care about. I only care about him. Even after brutally stepping all over my heart, I still love him. God, I should hate him but I can't bring myself to. Seemingly done with his work, he turns his back towards the table and faces me. His eyes are as usual gleaming brightly as compared to my swollen ones. His lips, moist, plump and ever so beautiful, in a stark contrast to my chapped ones. He looks perfect in all sense. How can someone be so enthralling is still a mystery to me.

I am brought out of my thoughts when I hear someone clearing their throat. I focus my distorted eyes in front of me and it collides with his. My breath hitches in my throat as he looks at me from head and toe, assessing me. He brings his eyes to my face and roam it all around my features and I curse myself for not bothering to double check my appearance. This is what he does to me. As I assess him too, I realise I am looking dilapidated in front of him. He once again focuses into my eyes and opens his mouth to say something but quickly snaps it shut. He tries once again but hesitates to say something. I focus all my attention on him and look back at him unblinking still.

He gulps and takes his eyes away from me. After a second, he looks at me again and says, 'Could you move? You are standing in my way.'
I am taken aback by what comes out of his mouth. So this is what he wanted to say to me after all these days. He left me all alone, didn't bother to contact me and ask about me, my health and now standing in front of me he is acting like he doesn't know me, like I didn't just confess my love for him five days back, like we didn't spend every fucking day with each other for three years be it through phone or physically. How could he be so cruel? Did I make a mistake in reading him? Was I so blind?

As I deal with onslaught of my thoughts, I hear an impatient click of tongue and then I realise I am still standing in his way. I quickly move away from the door and make room for him to move and look down. He doesn't make a move to leave though. He stay rooted on his spot. Didn't he want to go? Why isn't he going now? I hate that I don't have the courage to look at him. So I keep looking at the floor hoping he will go away soon.

'I, uh...I just... , he stammers out but doesn't say anything further. His feet is tapping repeatedly on the floor and he is moving his hand through his hair, I can tell. It is his nervous habit. I wonder what he is nervous about. His hand makes his way towards mine but I move it backwards almost instinctively. 'Right, sorry.' He awkwardly says and storms out of the room. I watch him as he walks briskly, his fists clenched tightly, his shoulders taut. He is angry. He has no right to be angry with me. He has no right to touch me. Not when he broke all his ties with me.

I need to focus on what's important now which is my career. I always kept him above it but not now. Acting is my passion, my purpose, my motivation to get up in the morning and I can't give up on that because of him. I can't give him so much power. I can't let him take away a thing I truly love. I have to think about my mum, my fans who look up to me. I need to make them proud. I can't afford to disappoint them. With this thought, I shake off all thoughts of him from my mind and make my way towards the CEO and greet him properly.

'Please take a seat. He says and I do so. 'I assume you know the purpose behind this urgent meeting.' He says seriously and my heart skyrockets. Okay, we are going straight to business.

'Yes, I do. First of all, I would like to apologize for my unprofessional behaviour. I could have handled the situation professionally but I let my emotions get in the way. I assure you, you will not have to entertain such behavior from me ever again'. I say almost desperately hoping he will take it easy on me.

'I believe in you.' He says and I heave out a sigh of relief. There is still hope. 'But while signing the contract with us, there was a clause stating the consequences of breaching the same. I am afraid you would have to go through them, since it would be unfair to our other employees and create a negative notion about our policies in their minds'. He says with not even a sliver of hesitation. Why would he? He doesn't have his career on his line. Does he? They can replace me easily. But I have no other choice. It's not like I am desperate to work for them. It just that I don't want to leave on their terms. It will pose problems to my future opportunities if they fire me. I would leave this company as soon as my contract is officially over and work somewhere where I am respected, not used according to their convenience. 'But since your compensation has already been taken of, you just have to-

My mind is not able comprehend anything after listening that my compensation has already been paid. I kinda have the idea who might have done it but I still ask to confirm and not create any misunderstanding in mind once again.

'Could I know who paid the amount? And how much was it?' I ask hesitantly, dreading the answer.

'Why, Win, of course. He came just before you and settled the amount of 5 million on your behalf.' He smoothly says and my heart stops. 5 million? He paid 5 freaking million? For me? No no. He can't. He shouldn't. Why would he do such a thing for me? He is determined to make it difficult for me, isn't he? He leaves me fucking stranded in the middle of the room when I beg him not to go and then he goes and pay 5 mil for me. What does he want? Does he want to humiliate me? Is that what it is? And suddenly I am filled with anger. He can't go around throwing his money on everyone. Especially not on me.

I politely excuse myself and make my way back to home. I am not in the right state of mind right now. I am filled with so much anger. I need to vent out. I need to let this steam out. I need to punch something. This anger consumes me so much that the next thing I know is, the punching bag going flying down as I hit it mercilessly. I pant harshly as I remove my gloves and take a break. My thoughts once again take to me to today's events and fury like no other engulfs me once again.

Before I know, my is hand reaching towards my phone and dialing his number. It rings and rings but he doesn't pick up. Before I can chicken out, I dial again and wait for him to pick up. It keeps ringing again and just when I was about to give up trying, he picks up.

Do you find Win's paying Bright's compensation arrogant as B said? Do let me know and don't forget to vote.