VII.The Pretence

'Coming'. I reply as my mom call me downstairs for the umpteenth time. She thinks keeping her beady little eyes on me 24/7, engaging me in her silly talks or making me help in her household chores would somehow magically heal me. What she doesn't know is that pretending is a part of my personality now. It is like a second nature to me. I can pretend I am perfectly fine, like this rejection doesn't affect me but deep down this whole ordeal has infused a deep sense of insecurity in me. I cannot help think about how maybe I am the problem. Maybe I couldn't give him what he wanted.

As I make my way downstairs, I plaster a fake ass smile on my face and greet my mum with a kiss on her cheek. She throws me a serious look, silently asking through her eyes if I am okay. I reply in affirmative and she smiles. Her smile immediately sends a rush of slight calmness through me. I don't want her to worry about me too much and if I have to put up an act for it, I'll do so.

After quickly having my meal and listening to her rant about something I didn't bother paying attention to due to my stomach flipping with nervousness, I get ready for the meeting I have scheduled with the company. I can't run from the situation anymore. I have to face whatever comes my way whether I like or not. So after being cooped up in my room for five days, sulking, I finally gave my depressed self a break and agreed with the proposition for a meeting with the company. I know the reason they have called me there but I still hope they don't do anything that might affect my career negatively. My unprofessional behaviour can't be excused but I still hope for some sort understanding from them considering the circumstances.

My stomach is in knots as I make my way downstairs once again to let my mum know about me leaving. Once I get in the living room, I see her sitting comfortably on the couch with her legs resting on the centre table. The TV remote is in her hand as she scrolls through the channels. Seeing her sitting so carefree and relaxed fills me with so much joy. It makes me feel as if whatever I am doing is adding some value to her life which is enough for me. Seeing her like this makes all the stress, tiredness and fatigue I have to go through, worth it.

'Ohh, you are here. You need something? I can get for you'. She says worriedly as she rushes towards me.

I don't reply to her but just wrap my arms around her and close my eyes. She pats me on my back comfortingly and I don't know why but I have suddenly have the urge to cry. I control my mess of a emotions and try to think the meeting to be tackled.

'What happened? And why are you so formally dressed? Going somewhere?' She asks me softly once she pulls back and I explain her about the meeting. 'Don't worry, everything will be okay. Just know, I am proud of you. I am proud of the person you have become. Nothing else matters to me other than you. Just do what you are supposed to do and leave rest in the hands of god.' She says encouragingly and my heart soars. She isn't concerned about how I might lose my contract with the company today, not only that but also my reputation, our lifestyle. She is just concerned about me and that fills me with instant relief. Whatever happens, she is with me at every step and that is more than enough for me. I am so freaking grateful to have her in life.

I bid goodbye to my mother and reach the company office.I make my way through the familiar corridors, greeting my colleagues. They look towards me with pity in their eyes and reassure me that they are here if I need anything. I try to ignore it as much as I can but what happened five days ago finally catches up to me. I made a pathetic fool out of myself in front of everyone to see what a loser I am. I thought they might have forgot about it but obviously who forgets such things. People thrives in pulling others down and in my case they didn't even have to do anything. I did enough damage for myself on my own. I blink back the moisture collecting in eyes as I reach the cabin of the CEO.

As I stand outside of the cabin, I take sometime to prepare myself and control my erratic breathing. Everything is gonna be okay. Everything is gonna be okay. Everything is gonna be okay. I chant in my mind as I try to fill myself with enough courage to deal with the situation in hand. I take a few deep breaths and after a few subtle knocks, I push the door open. As I step inside the office, my eyes meet with his and my whole world stops.

Why do you think Win came to the CEO office?👀 Do let me know and don't forget to vote guys.