Chapter Twenty Two

Tessa had wanted to believe that the world wasn't getting to bad, but the more and more that she read in the papers made her frightened

Tessa had wanted to believe that the world wasn't getting to bad, but the more and more that she read in the papers made her frightened. She knew that she couldn't protect herself against a wizard, good or bad, and there wasn't really any changing that. She was a muggle, and that was all she'd ever be.

Honestly, she was thinking about getting herself a blade to protect herself. A blade may not completely defend her from a wizard, but it would stun them for at least a second or two, possibly giving her time to hide. If she was able to hide, then someone would eventually come and rescue her. There really wasn't a reason for her to even think like that, considering she didn't plan to go out on her own.

With that being said, about a week after she had pretty much told herself she wouldn't go anywhere alone, she was asked to run to the store to pick up more bandages. Two of the dragons had become a bit more aggressive than normal, and they were running low on bandages. Normally, they'd wait to get bandages until the next day when a delivery came, but they really didn't have time to wait.

"Only bandages?" Tessa asked, and Ana nodded.

"Yes," Ana replied,"and please be careful." She added, causing Tessa to simply smile at her.

Tessa quickly made her way to the store, which happened to be pretty big. She purchased quite a bit of bandages, since she wasn't sure exactly how many they'd need to last the rest of the day. As she was in the store, she decided to purchase herself a blade, or rather a small collection that came in a three pack, and she bought a sheath to go around her thigh for her to hold a blade. As soon as she bought the blades, she opened them and slid one into the sheath on her thigh, leaving the other two in their case.

After she was sure she got enough bandages and her blade was secure, she headed back to the sanctuary

After she was sure she got enough bandages and her blade was secure, she headed back to the sanctuary. On her walk back, she felt like she was being watched. She truly felt terrified, but she tried not to show it. She kept her hand placed on her blade at all times, so she would be able to grab it if or when she needed it.

Her paranoia had been right though, because she felt someone grab her when her back was turned to them. She struggled for a moment, before she remembered the thing she learned from Charlie months ago. Quickly, she threw her head back, and the person let her go when her head made contact with their nose.

Before the person could get a jump on her, Tessa pulled the blade from its sheath. She held it tightly in her hand, ready to strike whenever she needed to. The person lunged at her, but when she sliced at them with her blade and managed to cut through their clothes and into their skin, the person stepped back. Tessa watched as the person took a few steps back, and disappeared into thin air.

As soon as the person was gone, Tessa picked up her shopping bags and ran as fast as she could back to the sanctuary. She was terrified, and she needed to get to safety. She didn't know if anyone was going to come back to attack her, and she had a feeling the person that attacked her would possibly bring others to help take her out.

"Are you okay, Tessa?" Ana asked, when Tessa ran into the medical area.

"No." Tessa barely answered, before tears started streaming down her face.

"Someone go get Charlie!" Ana exclaimed, as she went to Tessa and wrapped her arms around the terrified girl.

Tessa sobbed into Ana's should for a good minute, before Charlie came running into the medical area. When he seen Tessa, his heart broke in his chest. He walked over to Tessa and Ana, and took Tessa from Ana's arms.

"What happened, love?" Charlie asked, holding his girlfriend close to his chest.

"They tried to attack me." She answered, her voice low and barely audible.

"What? Who?" Charlie questioned, feeling his body fill with dread.

"A bad wizard," She murmured,"I got away because I broke his nose, and cut him with my blade." She explained, and Charlie sighed.

"I'm so sorry," Charlie commented, holding the girl a little tighter,"I didn't know you went out. I would've went with you if I had known."

"It's fine. I'm safe. I just--I was scared." She replied, and he nodded.

Charlie pulled away from her slightly, placing his hands lightly on the sides of her face.

"You don't have to be scared anymore, Tess. I will always protect you," He said,"I love you." He murmured, and her heart seemed to swell in her chest.

"I love you, too, Charlie." She replied, and he smiled as he leaned forward and placed a kiss on her lips.

"Can I see your blade?" He asked, causing her to nod.

She pulled the blade from the sheath on her thigh, before grabbing the container that held the other two blades. Charlie raised an eyebrow with a smirk on his face, as he examined the blades for a moment. He had to admit, they were sharp, and they'd be able to protect her at any given moment.

"Are they good?" She asked, and Charlie nodded.

"They're perfect for you. With these, I know you can protect yourself if you ever need to again." He replied, causing her to smile a little in relief.

If Charlie believed the blades were good, that meant she wouldn't have to worry so much. He promised he'd protect her, but there was always a chance he couldn't be there. She didn't want to be trapped on her own again, but there really wasn't anything she could do about it. Sometimes her safety wasn't going to be guaranteed...