17

Chapter 17

Darius

Friday 11:57pm

***

"Are we doing it or not?" I asked, getting more irritated by the moment.

We were finally done cleaning up the hotel ballroom. Throwing away the trash in the back of the alley I realized that soon this would be my daily life. Taking care of hotels. Waiting on people. Talking to rich customers and settling their issues at the front desk of the two hotels Ryland and I would be in charge of soon. I couldn't wait to be there. To be older and to be able to be myself. Finally. Things would change.

Until then I had to learn to be present. And right now I just wanted to get this Tomlin situation taken care of. I literally could almost kill Sammy for suggesting that Ryland live with Tomlin. Jay was right when he called Sammy out for that bullshit.

"We are doing it." Ryland decided.

"Alright then. Let's go get our boy." Jay clapped his hands together.

I scowled at the hickies on his neck.

"Did you do that?" I whispered to Ryland.

He smiled. "You've been overstepping, Dar."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Ryland--"

"Don't, Darius. Just leave it." I sighed and let it go.

My eyes drifted to the guys. Jay really looked nice tonight. Everyone did. Sammy was wearing a black penguin suit with a red undershirt and damn if his green eyes didn't pop. Ryland and his nice get up with the band shirt and fancy suit around it was extra enticing. Why did they all have to be gorgeous?

And why did Ryland keep pushing us off like this? And then reeling us in? Ugh. It's strange really. At one point freshman year before the friendship circle rules I thought for sure he'd at least try to sleep with one of us.

Me.

I thought he'd try to sleep with me. He would look at me longer. Run a hand down my spine. Little things that made me feel important. And then I noticed he did it to all of us. Never once was I jealous. Just curious.

Then those two weeks away happened and I thought for sure he'd turn to us. He just never did. He always stayed just above us. Like it would hurt him to make a real move. After talking to Sammy and Jay it was clear they felt the same way.

We all wanted Ryland.

We all wanted one another.

Throughout the years I had various conversations alone and together with Jay and Sammy. We all wanted to basically be together with each other and no one else. Just to try it. And then Ryland went and made the rules.

Why did we follow them? Why?

It all baffled me. And the closer we got to Tomlin, the closer I came to losing my mind. He hadn't even said he wanted us yet, but here we were going to introduce ourselves to Tomlin as a unit. Shocking. Thrilling and annoying all at the same fucking time.

And how does one even begin to explain his sort of thing to someone else? I sighed and hoped they all knew what to do. Because I sure as hell didn't. 

*****

Tomlin

Saturday 12:10am

***

After a few minutes outside, leaning against the railing of the porch, feeling wobbly, Ryland pulled up to the house. I smiled walking to the truck, noticing the giggles and hushed voices as I got closer to the truck. It sounded like the 3 amigos were with him and I instantly got excited