Chapter 20 | Dilemmas

It had been two days since the Christmas ball. People were making arrangements to welcome the new year. So were the Dudleys.

Henrietta and her mother were busy discussing the wedding. It was supposed to be held on the tenth of January, the following year. Her mother was imparting her advice, regarding marriage. She was listening to each and everything carefully. Cathy was preparing breakfast while Mr Dudley and Jack had gone to the woods to collect some wood. Charles has gone to play with his friends. Cathy was stirring some chicken broth. She was thinking of a way to convince her uncle to let her go to Galaw for a week or so. She knew that he would be displeased by her decision. He always tried to avoid anything related to that place.
She couldn't even blame the old man for that. He had lost his sister after all. She sighed and continued stirring.

"Is anything troubling you?"
The voice belonged to Jack. He grabbed and apple and wiped it off his shirt. Mr Dudley took of his muffler and put it on the hanger. He had put the hanger on Cathy's request. She was overwhelmed to see Jack wearing the gloves which she had gifted him for Christmas.
"Yes, something is troubling me. The fact that you are wearing gloves while eating an apple..."

He took it off immediately, causing her to burst into fits of laughter. Not able to control himself, he started to laugh as well.

"What's the commotion all about? Mind sharing the joke?" Mr Dudley sat on the chair next to the kitchen, as he undid his coat.
"Oh uncle, you wouldn't get it," she said in between her laughs.
Jack didn't hold back. He tried to defend himself by saying he was hungry.

"Children these days," the old man muttered under his breath. He looked at the two laughing together. He smiled softly. This was the kind of atmosphere he had always wanted around himself. Where everyone in his family would be happy, would laugh, cry, celebrate together.

The clock struck twelve. Cathy put down the broth from the flame and covered it with a lid. She quickly washed her hands and undid her apron. Seeing the urgency, Jack couldn't help but ask her the cause.
"I need to escort Charles back home. Hos friends' mother's did tell me they would be done playing by twelve. It's already time."

"Oh. No need to hurry. I can help you with that. I can bring him from the park. You can carry on your work without stressing yourself."

She looked at him with joy. "Is that so? Thank you. I'll serve you some extra meatpie."

"Oh, don't spoil my boy like that," remarked Mr Dudley.
"That's not fair. It's just a way to repay my kindness, right Miss Shaw?"

She smiled at him. "Yes."

~

"And then they told me that I am the strongest." The little boy flexed his non existent arm muscles as Jack accompanied him back home.
Charles was telling him how his other friends were praising him for being so strong and brave.
Apparently, one of his friends' ball got stuck between the branches of a small tree and he climbed up and got it down.

"Well, that is indeed very brave of you but I don't advice you to do it again in the near future. Your elder sister might get cross if she hears about it." He patted his head. "I remember her clearly telling you to stay away from the trees this morning."

He bit his tongue playfully. "Please don't tell her. I'll give you my favourite toy."

"No, I don't need it but promise me you won't do it again."

"I promise."

As they were nearing their house, they saw William in his garden. He was shoveling the snow. He looked quite strange in the pair of baggy trousers and loose white shirt, which were quite contrary to his usual fitted suit and pants.
"Good afternoon Mr Benwick," greeted Jack.