Chapter 6 | The Moonlight

The sun had already set down. Cathy was busy cleaning her uncle's room while little Charles was playing with his toys in the living room. She took the bedsheets and tossed them into the basket. She took out the new ones from the cupboard and laid them on the bed. She dusted the shelves and the furniture and swept the floor.

She was in a dilemma. Should she change the curtains to blue ones, or let the red ones as is it? Well, she could think about it later. She had to prepare dinner for Charles and clean her aunt and Henrietta's room. After all, they will be coming tomorrow. She cannot afford to displease her aunt any further.

She climbed down the stairs with the pile of bedsheets and clothes. She put them down beside her uncle's rocking chair and went to check on Charles. He was playing with his wooden toy car with content. She smiled gently.

Washing her hands, she entered the kitchen. She took a handful of rice and put them in the pot filled with boil. Putting the lid on, she let it boil as she continued chopping the carrots and the potato. Her uncle always loved her dishes. She hoped he would come soon. The young soldiers had already come back to the town. She was wondering when the older people would come back. She checked on the rice. "Fifteen minutes more," she said to herself.

She put the chopped vegetables in a seperate pot and added some water and let it boil. After some time she added the spices and stirred the curry till the desired consistency. She lowered the stove and went to put the basket of clothes and bedsheets in the bathroom.

She plunged them into a big bucket and filled it with water.
As she was passing through the hallway, she heard a knock on the door. She checked through the peephole. It was Mr Benwick! Oh no how could she attend him in this unfashionable state?!
The knocking started being persistent. "Miss Shaw, Mr Benwick here," shouted William.
Lord! She could not leave him like that. Reluctantly, she opened the door.

"Good evening Mr Benwick, please come in," she curtseyed.

"I hope I am not intruding you while you are busy," he said. Seeing Cathy's cap and pale brown gown, he was sure that she was busy with something. And he did feel guilty for disturbing her. "I can come later if you want me to."

"Oh no no. Please come in." She cannot just let someone go away like that. Suddenly she remembered. Her curry and rice! "Mr Benwick please take care of my brother, I have kept the food on the stove I must hurry," she exclaimed and ran towards the kitchen.

William followed her and stopped when he saw a little boy sitting on the floor and playing with a toy car. He kneeled down until he was face to face with the little boy.
"Good evening, sir," he said amusingly.

"Good evening sir," replied Charles.

"I am William Benwick. You can call me anything. What is your name?"

"My name is Charles Dudley. Nice to meet you."

William was surprised. The kid's reply was too quick and smart in comparison to other kids of his age. He was impressed by that.

"So what is Mr Charles doing?"

"I am playing with Timothy, my cart."

"That is a fine cart," praised William.

Charles smiled at him. "I know," he said with his eyes glued onto the car. "My father made this for me as my ninth birthday present. He gave this to me the day before he went to the border. I love this cart very much. When i grow up, I will buy a carriage like this and surprise Pa."

He was awestruck. Such words coming from the very mouth of such a small child! He nodded. "You will! I know you will."

"Supper is ready." Cathy came out with a tray of two big pots. "Charles please wash your face. Mr Benwick do you want to eat now or later?"