Chapter 29 | Healing from the past wounds

Cathy was stunned to see May being so friendly with her. She didn't play any of her dirty tricks or insult her in anyway.
Rather, she was constantly asking her about her well being. "May, you might want to stop. The priest will start with the prayers."
"Oh! Sorry. I can get a little excited."

"No, you see. I like that woman because she has wisdom. She can get a little full of herself, but she's knowledgeable."
"Oh Cathy! I can now imagine her as a normal woman. I have never thought about it like that. You really are a nice girl. I am starting to like you."

William simply rolled his eyes while she complimented Cathy. He knew that s blood sucking vampire like her could bleed out the life from them.
"William, you seem unhappy. What is it?" She stroked his arm gently.
He immediately pulled his arm away from her. "I would like it if u stop getting a not handsy."

For a few seconds, Cathy thought that maybe the two looked good together. She was nothing compared to her. She was a well refined lady, coming from a rich household. She was well educated and had high morales and values. Even if she had spread rumours about her, it was only because she had feelings for William.
She also loved William. So she knew the fear and loneliness that captivated ones mind when your lover is tangled to some other person's arms.
But in this case, William was clearly repulsed by her. And he loved her. She shouldn't doubt his love for her. She smiled softly. She had nothing to fear. Why would she? The two loved each other.

"Thank you Miss May, for your company. I hope we meet again soon."
"Oh Cathy! Are you trying to shoo me away? Don't worry. I am just jesting. How about we go to the park on Thursday? I am quite free then. And I have heard that there's a huge lake nearby. I really want to see some swans."
William scoffed. "It's quite foolish of you to think that there would be swans in a frozen lake."
Cathy eyes him to calm down. "It is alright. If she wants to go to the park then we shall go."
"See William. Your lover is more smart than you are. Let us call it a picnic then?"
"That sounds nice Miss May."

William held Cathy's hand and whispered whether it was safe to trust her. She nodded. She told him that you cannot just go on hating someone. They had known each other since childhood. It wouldn't be very mature of her to hate another woman only because she had feelings for her partner.
She confirmed her plans, causing May to clap her hands in excitement.

May and the couple patted their ways home.
"What does that lass think? Me and friends with her?" She chuckled menacingly. "I'll show you how to win a battle. I'll win it Catherine Shaw, I'll emerge as the victor."

~

"Thank you for the book. I have finished reading it." She kept the book on his table.
"So what now dear?"
"I think I'll go home. I am not feeling well William. I could do with some rest."

He eyed her carefully. She seemed a little worried. "What is it that troubles you."
"William, seriously, I am fine. You do not have to worry."

He leaned onto her and kissed her cheek. "Catherine, don't tell me not to worry. I love you and care for you. Your health is my prime concern."
How could she tell him about May. She couldn't tell him how insecure she would feel whenever they met. She was afraid. What if she played one of her dirty tricks on them?
"William, why did you even fall in love with me?"
"Cathy!" He gasped and sat down beside her. "I love you for so many reasons yet I cannot list them. It is so hard to describe them in words. You are a beautiful woman." He rubbed her palms gently. "Not only from the outside, but inside as well. You care for everyone. Small things make you content and fill you with awe. You aren't selfish and greedy. You love literature as much as I do." He chuckled at the last sentence. "And you have left a positive impact in my life. You have mended that broken part of me. I may not be perfect. I may be a little busy, but at the end of the day, I feel so relieved to return to you, and lay into your caring arms."