Chapter 3 | Lost Childhood

"Miss Shaw, Miss Shaw. Where are you?"

Cathy immediately jolted up. Tying the robe around her, she went to see the situation quickly.

"What is it Mr Benwick?" She asked. Benwick was holding a letter in his hands. "What is that," Cathy asked, pointing at the letter.

"Well it is your letter, it is addressed to you. Also, I checked, it is snowing outside. But yes, I could go now and check for my keys in the carriage."

He handed the letter to her. "Oh wait," she said, stopping him from leaving.

"Yes Miss Shaw?"

Here, please take an umbrella with you. You don't have a hat, you might catch a cold if snow falls on you," she said as she handed the umbrella to him.

William gave her a smile. "You are really considerate, my lady."

Cathy bowed and went to check on Charles. He was wide awake and making his bed. She embraced him and kissed his little forehead.
"Oh Charles, I am so relieved that you are fine. I prayed for you last night. Do you know how worried we were. Never climb trees untill you grow up stronger. You promise?"

Charles giggled and nodded his head. She ran to her room, where Mr Benwick had stayed last night. Her room smelled manly. How was that even possible. William had done everything. He had made the bed and the floors felt clean. Did he broom the floor as well? But the sheets and pillows smelled of him.
She sighed. "I'll have to clean these as well," she thought.
Although it won't be a lie to say that she did find the smell comforting, but morally she should not. That's really scary, to like the smell of a man in your room.

She ripped open the envelope and took out the letter. It was from Henrietta. It read

"Dear Cathy,

You may already know that it rained heavily last night. And the elders are saying that it would snow tomorrow. And carriages would not be available before Tuesday, which is day after tomorrow. We are staying at an inn in Oxyberry. Mama is really angry about having to spend money on a one night stay. We won't be coming before Tuesday night. Please take care of Charles and you. And if anyone asks for me, then tell them that I would be available after Tuesday.

Also, three men persuaded me. But i rejected all. My eyes were on a certain man. I'll share the details with you when I come back.

Yours lovingly -----
Henrietta ""

Cathy sighed. Another day of being lonely. Also she was curious about the man, whom Henrietta was talking about. Now not only was she bored but she was anxious as well. The curiousity was killing her. She knew that Henrietta could have written the man's name but she had done that on purpose, to stir some curiosity into her.

She went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for Charles.

Meanwhile, William went to his stable. His horses were chewing on some fresh green grass.
"Oh Becky and Ronal," he said as he patted their necks. He went inside the corner an checked every corner. Lo and behold! There his keys were, buried into the carpet of the floor of the carriage. He owed Miss Shaw a great time.

He unlocked his house and went inside. Everything seemed in its place, without any sign of ribbery. He let out a sigh of relief. He sat down on his rocking chair.
Oh, the kindness of Miss Shaw. How shall he ever repay her.

A year and a half ago, he was nobody. No one knew him. He used to be one of the richest people in Italy. But one day, his business shut down due to inflammation and increase in taxes. His workers turned their back in him. This was followed by the horrible death of his uncle, Mr Henry. While he was tending to his aunt, his company kept on going into debt and adding onto losses. When his aunt died due to heart attack, he decided that he will go to London to earn some fortune. And indeed he did!

He despised Italy. It held so many dull memories and nightmares. His childhood was blurry. He did not remember much. His mother's soft and blurry face blurred in front of his eyes.

"Mother," he said as he tried to grab the hand of the unreachable hallucination of her. But alas! All he could do was search for her in thin air. The dark and shabby corners of the room seemed so mysterious all of a sudden. Everything felt so dark. Everyone laughed at the little boy. Who's that little boy now? It's him, he's alive. But where is his protector, her mother? No, why? Why did she die?

He closed his eyes and started rocking the chair. He lifted the curtain a little and peeped through the window. He saw the snow fall on the ground and it reminded him of that particular winter day. Oh how he wished that he was dead as well. Why was he even alive? What would he do with those riches? Does he even have a reason to live.

He let out a sigh of agony. He gathered the strength to stand up and walk up to his room upstairs. Everything was so silent, so lonely. His footsteps echoed in the hall.

Entering his room, he drew the curtains and lit the candles. He let go of his body and dived into his bed. The mattress at the Dudley's house was as hard as the floor. His back ached due to that very reason. But he did have a sound sleep. Does comfort really matter? He didn't know. Is Miss Shaw happy being under her aunt's supervision. He didn't know.

Oh how amiable Miss Shaw was. The way her eyes crinkled as she smiled... She seemed genuinely happy. Would he ever experience such happiness?
He had everything now, except for the happiness.

He shook his thoughts away. I can't sit here and mourn about my losses. I'll have to return the clothes to Miss Shaw lest she would be worried, he thought to himself.

He changed into a white shirt and blue pants. He folded the clothes carefully and put them in a cloth bag. With this, he made his way to Cathy.

"CHARLES!!! Come downstairs my dear. Breakfast is ready."
She continued plating the food for him. That littles kid came running down and plopped himself in the chair. Cathy smiled at his energy.
"Oh God! Look. The child who was not able to walk last night, is running today. What a miracle! I am so happy you are fine," she said.

"This food looks scrumptious," he said, pointing towards his plate.

"It does? Thank you Charles. It's for you," she said, as she slid the plate towards him.
She sat down beside him and started to feed him. He smiled as he ate the food.

Suddenly she heard someone knocking at the door.
She got down and wiped her hands on her dress. She quickly opened the door only to see William standing with a bag in his right hand. His tall figure, made her look puny in front of him.

"Miss Shaw, I am so greatly obliged to you. You have been so kind to me. Here are the clothes." He put out the bag in front of her which she took from his hands.

"Oh, please do not embarass me Mr Benwick. As I already mentioned, I am rather content to have served someone. It is you who has done me a favour. Please do visit us more often. Especially when aunt and Henrietta are around. They would like to introduce themselves to you."

"Surely," he said. "Well, then. Goodbye Miss. I have to go to the town for some business. I hope to have your company soon."

Cathy smiled and waved at him. She closed the door after he had went to the stable. She let out a sigh. Did she gain a new friend? If so, then this is the happiest day of her life.