Chapter 7: Aunt's House

Another day of tranquility and optimism arrived for everyone. In the morning at 5am, Patrick's mom had to wake up early for a business trip in Seattle, Washington for her company that her floral shop works with. Patrick and Erica helped their mom with folding clothes and items in her two suitcases hours before her flight was about to take off. When both suitcases were ready, their mom stood at the front door greeting them a goodbye.

Patrick's mom: I will be away on this business trip in Seattle for a week...

Patrick's mom: I hope you will both take care while I'm gone. I informed your aunt in advance...

Patrick's mom: She misses her darling niece and nephew.

Patrick's mom: Ok, look at the time...It's 6am. I'm off now! Goodbye and love you both.

Patrick: Bye, mom. Safe travels. Love you. He said as she walked out the door.

Erica: Love you too, mom. She said, waving at her mom.

A few minutes later, Patrick's phone rang and it was his cousin Kyle Jacobs trying to call him. Kyle and Patrick were a bit similar in looks, but Kyle had a lighter shade of brown in his dark layered hair, rounder cheeks, and soft sparkling coffee brown eyes. He resembled the famous Chinese singer Fan Chengcheng and stood at 6 '3 with huge biceps and wore a white and blue tracking suit made from China. In the past, he was an overweight kid up until sophomore year of his old high school. The teasing, bullying, and the brink of getting diabetes were what pushed him to get healthier and strong.

Patrick: Hey, dude! My mom had just left for her business trip and we were talking about you and your mom beforehand.

Kyle: That's sweet, man. I was about to call you about living with us for about a week...

Kyle: But good thing you got the memo from your mom.

Patrick: Me and Erica are about to head to your guys' houses now. I'll talk to you later, ok?

Kyle: Cool! I'll go tell my mom.

Kyle: The more the merrier. When he hung up, Erica spoke.

Erica: Patrick, was that Kyle on the phone?

Patrick: Yep, that was Erica. Feels good talking to him after a month.

Erica: I heard you saying we are going to his house now. Are we?

Patrick: Yup, you heard right.

Erica: Whoo hoo! I'm excited. I miss him and Aunty tremendously.

Patrick: I miss them too...Even though they may not be financially stable like we are now, they're still our dear family.

Patrick: Something must people hardly appreciate about when it comes to families.

Patrick got into his car with Erica sitting in the front seat. After putting on their seatbelts and turning on the car engine, they drove off to Kyle's house which was about 10 blocks away from theirs. Once they arrived, Kyle and his mom were waiting at the front porch grinning at them.

Kyle: Great to have you here, bro! We knew you'd get here very fast. He said as they hugged each other.

Patrick: You know me, man! I'm always punctual.

Kyle: He turned towards Erica. And...You too, Erica! Missed your big cuddly cousin don't you?

Erica: More than anything I missed for a month! She said as he bent down and hugged her.

Kyle's mom: Whoo, it's shivering cold. C'mon inside before you freeze! Inside is much warmer.

When they got inside, Patrick and Erica could both sniff the aroma of steamed dumplings, Chinese barbecue duck and broccoli, and hot tomato egg soup.