Chapter 1: Simple But Not

Humid atmosphere, falling leaves, and cold air came to define the cool and slightly chilly October where Preston High School of Idaho city was about to open. October 6th was her first day at the new school and most new students were either overly excited or nervous for how their high school experience would go. In the middle of the community, there was a family that lived inside a medium, two-story house. One of these rooms was occupied by a Chinese American teenage girl named Matilda Jiang. She had a youthful look showcasing her long straight black hair and clear-rimmed glasses. She was around average height of 5 '4 and wore a plain pastel white shirt and black leggings.

Dear diary, I don't know how to start talking about myself and my life, but here we go...

My name is Matilda Jiang...I'm 16 years old and today is my first day at Preston High School...

Kinda awkward for school to start around early winter, but I'm used to the cold...

See what else can I say for myself that's not boring...Hmm.

Oh, I'm a sucker for romantic novels and I use them as an inspiration for my own stories...

I wouldn't call myself a professional writer since I make mistakes and love hasn't come for me...

I barely have any friends or any guys interested in me so far...

But I still can't forget...About that one kid who saved me from the bullies 8 years ago...

He left a mark on my memory that I can never seem to forget. I still wonder about him some days...

But...Oh! It's 7am already! Best be off soon...

Matilda's parents were away for work early as usual so Matilda went downstairs to make herself breakfast with oatmeal and blueberries, which is her favorite. When she was finished, she got up from her chair and headed outside with her backpack on. She then waited for her school bus, which usually takes 10 minutes to arrive on time in Preston High School of Idaho City. When she was in class, many students were there, but a few were missing. She decided to speak to her new physics teacher Miss Weber about her enrollment in the class.

Matilda: Hi, Miss...Is this Physics 2 class room 109?

Miss Weber: Yes, this is. Are you a new student?

Matilda: Yes, I'm the new student Matilda Jiang...Can you check if I'm enrolled in the correct class?

Miss Weber went to sit down in front of her PC at her desk and check to see if her name was present on her dashboard. However, her name was nowhere to be found.

Miss Weber: That's a pity. Your name didn't show up...But don't worry. I will call the administrators and have them fix the issue.

Miss Weber: Have a seat at row 4 desk 2.

Matilda: Yes, Miss.

Matilda sat at the desk Miss Weber told her to sit. Oddly enough, all the desks were full except for the one adjacent to hers on the left.

Matilda: On the inside. I wonder who this desk belongs to...

Around the same time in another house in the same neighborhood as Matilda, someone was sleeping in his bed past 7:30. Patrick Liwang suddenly jolted awake from his sleep as he opened his eyes, remembering today was a school day. He was a handsome Chinese American boy 6 months older than Matilda, at 6 '5 with a muscular body resembling the Chinese demigod Frank Zhang from Percy Jackson books. His thick cropped jet black hair looked rough, but smooth at the same time and he had clear white olive skin. His dominant facial features and cheeky smile have attracted quite a lot of girls throughout his teen years.

Patrick: On the inside. What the hell?! How am I still in bed?

Patrick: He wondered. I thought I was in primary school... Was that just a dream?

His mom walked into his room.

Patrick's mom: She joked. Patrick, you're finally up? What's got you waking up so late with ants in your pants?

Patrick's mom: You usually wake up earlier than me.

Patrick: Sorry, mom. I guess I got too tired from exercising at the gym yesterday...

Patrick: Anyways I should get dressed and pack my books, mom. I'll walk to school by myself.

Patrick's mom: Oh, no you don't have to, dear. I'll drive you to school...

Patrick's mom: I'm glad I don't have to work at the office today.

Patrick: Really? Did Erica go to school by herself?

Patrick's mom: Of course...She did. She's already a big girl for her age...

Patrick's mom: She took it after her big bro, but unfortunately he's like a little kid himself having his mom wake him up in the morning.

Patrick: Hey, mom! It was just one morning haha.

Patrick and his mom always used jokes as a way to pipe down their moods whenever they feel bad. Their relationship had always been a comedy show. After his mom drove him to school, he quickly got out of her car and went to find his Physics 2 class. Embarrassingly enough, he was the last student to arrive.

Patrick: Hey, Miss Weber. Sorry for being late. I woke up with ants in my pants. He said mimicking his mom's jokes.

Miss Weber and the entire class burst into laughter.

Miss Weber: Nice joke, Patrick. I know you didn't get ant bites for real or else you'd be walking funny to my class.

Miss Weber: I understand why you're late, but next time try to get here earlier.

He went to sit down at his desk, which happened to be the one adjacent to Matilda's.

Patrick: He thought to himself. Hmm...this girl must be new to this school. Is she in the same grade as me?

Matilda: On the inside. Oh my god. I can't look his way...He's staring at me.

Matilda: On the inside. He looks exactly like the prince described in my new story...

However, Patrick couldn't stop staring at her and continued to gaze at her from the side.

Patrick: He thought to himself. If Miss Weber assigned her to sit next to me, then I'm more than elated.

Miss Weber: Okay, I think I've got people checked for attendance...

Miss Weber: But in case not everyone knew, we have a new student named Matilda!

Miss Weber: Towards Matilda. Why don't you come to the front and tell us about yourself?

Matilda got up nervously and eyed Patrick for a bit. He winked at her. Facing back at the teacher, she strutted to the front of the class.

Matilda: Hi, my name is Matilda and I'm from Boise city...

Matilda: Me and my family recently moved here because my dad found a new job here...

Miss Weber: Oh! Congrats to your dad. I hope he enjoys his new job...

Miss Weber: You may go back to your desk now, Matilda.

Matilda's nerves ceased after she finished introducing herself and slowly went back to sit next to Patrick.

Patrick: You said you used to live in Boise city? I used to live there too...

Matilda: She responded shyly. Yes, I did. The weather was ok, except for summer when outside feels like a baking oven.

Patrick: I feel you. I don't mind summer, but not when it's too hot to the point where car bonnets can be used as a grill for barbecue.

Matilda: She chuckled a bit. Yeah, that's why I wear a hat and put on sunscreen whenever I go out.

Patrick: He thought to himself. I have a feeling others may perceive her as "boring", but she amazes me with how she talks. 

Love On The Brainजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें