Chapter 6: When You Love Someone

Patrick went upstairs to his bedroom while his mom was left in the kitchen reading a magazine about the latest fashion trends and about new products for sale in the industry. As the smart idiot lied down for sleep, he recalled his childhood where his dad was still here in the family and how it all fell apart because of one argument.

My dad always used to come home with a huge smile on his face...

He would greet all of us with a kiss and a hug whenever he came home from work...

He was an affectionate and devoted father...

We weren't that well off, but we didn't care. We were close with each other and that was all that mattered.

After Patrick's dad embraced his mom lovingly, he went and picked up his sister Erica who was a toddler at the time. He picked her up and twirled her around like any dad would do for their little daughters.

Patrick's dad: How is my little goofy Erica, huh?

Toddler Erica: Yayyyy, daddy!

His dad found young Patrick playing with a small orange ball in the living room and greeted him with a hug as well.

Patrick's dad: There's my little smarty pants man...Did you miss your dad, Patrick?

Young Patrick: Of course, I miss you every time when you're at work. I always make you prepare for impact when you come home!

Patrick's dad: Always gonna do that for my best buddy.

Patrick's dad: I'll tell you what...Since I had a good day at work, why don't we go to Macaroni Joe's for dinner?

Patrick's dad: You guys can order whatever you want!

Young Patrick: Dad, that's so good! YES!

Young Patrick: This is gonna be the best night ever!

Patrick's mom: Good idea, Elliot. I don't have much to cook for dinner...It's boring to always eat at home.

Patrick's dad: If we go out to eat, it won't be as boring. Always nice to be in a space where you can chill and relax...and not worry about life.

Patrick's dad: Am I right, Patrick?

Young Patrick: Yup, you're right, dad!

Not only was my dad loving towards his family, he was kind to everyone...

The room lit up like stars in the night sky every time he appeared...

He was also supportive of my hobbies and interests...

I looked up to him, he was a great role model. I never felt bored or discouraged by him...

He was the type of dad any kid would want as a dad...

However, one day he and my mom had their first argument...

They were both struggling financially and their current jobs weren't paying them enough to cover their mortgage and basic needs...

Patrick's mom: We should start by doing something new...Like opening a floral shop together.

Patrick's mom: I already know the industry where we should open our shop at...

Patrick's mom: We should also give our flower shop a business name...

Patrick's dad: We don't have enough money. We barely get paid $35,000 a year...

Patrick's dad: It's hard to open up a business of our own if we don't get our branding right...I don't want us to go bankrupt.

Patrick's mom: Seriously, Elliot? That's all you're gonna say?

Patrick's dad: Sorry, Nora. I don't want you to get your hopes too high in the air.

Patrick's dad: I know we're not gonna be successful this way...

My parents' relationship grew worse to the point they barely smiled at each other...

Of course they acted like everything was fine in front of me and Erica...

But I knew they weren't happy with each other...

One day when I got home from school, I came home to find my parents arguing again...

My dad, fed up with their argument, abruptly left and got inside his car to drive off...

Patrick ran off to follow where his dad's car was going.

Young Patrick: Dad, no don't leave!!!

Young Patrick: Where are you going?!

He stopped when he was about to reach the streets.

My life wasn't the same after my dad left and I couldn't cope in school like I used to...

Sometimes I would fail on purpose because I got tired of being treated like a smart aleck by other kids...

My teacher and principal were both worried about my progress...

Eventually, the principal called his mom up to the front office to talk about him.

Principal: Mrs. Liwang, Patrick is having a hard time in school...He doesn't play with the other kids and barely does work in class...

Principal: His teacher told me he might be depressed or demotivated. Could there be a problem at his home?

Patrick's mom: I think you should know the truth, ma'am. You see...His dad and I had been fighting and he left us a month ago...

Patrick's mom: I feel bad for my little boy. I wish things could be the same as before.

Principal: With a sad expression. I'm very sorry to hear that, Mrs. Liwang. But I really want us to get Patrick focused and happy again.

When Patrick got home from school, he showcased his displacement by kicking his soccer ball to the wall and hurling some of his books off of his nightstand. He sat on his bed and buried his head in his hands to cry.

Young Patrick: On the inside. I wish dad was back...

Young Patrick: On the inside. I wish he and my mom never fought. He would have defended me from other mean kids...

His mom came into his room to comfort him and gave him a hug. They both cried together about how his dad was gone.

Although my mind tried to avoid it all, my guts couldn't ignore the fact I missed my dad.

My mom tried to keep me distracted from thinking about him, but I would lose focus whenever she and I did fun activities together.

Years passed fast like leaves in the wind and I slowly went on with my life.

Patrick had grown into a tall, attractive teenager with a seemingly positive and energetic attitude on the outside. He was well liked by guys and girls alike and everyone admired his enthusiasm to learn and try new things. When he was outdoors playing a soccer game with fellow teammates and scoring, he clenched his fists and his teammates all gave him a hug as they won the round. His dad was secretly watching him from afar while Patrick wasn't looking. He lit up a lighter to smoke.

Patrick's dad: He thought to himself. Patrick is just like how I was in my younger days...He's now popular and his mom is successful with her floral shop.

Patrick's dad: On the inside. That reminds me...I should've been there for them. Especially Patrick.

Patrick's dad: On the inside. I'm a horrible dad for leaving them years ago.

In the current life, Patrick had on his sleepwear and decided he should sleep for the new day to arrive.

Patrick: He thought to himself. If only you were here, Dad...