058. mother and son reunion

Sam and Miranda are asleep in bed, Sam's arm draped over her stomach. Sam wakes up when he hears the door open, but he doesn't move, assuming it's one of his children.

He's proven right when he feels a small hand push into his arm, trying to shake him.

"Daddy." He hears Serena's quiet whine, the man finally turning to her.

"Hey, baby." He mutters, his voice raspy as he struggles to keep his eyes open. "What's going on?"

"Bed." She holds her arms out to him. Sam grabs her, lifting her up and settling her between him and Miranda. She clings onto his shirt, pressing herself against his chest as much as she can.

Sam slips his hand under her The Little Mermaid pajama shirt, lightly scratching her back. Serena relaxes as the warm and comforting touch, slowly drifting back to sleep, Sam not far behind her.

"Sam!" Dean screams, Sam jolting awake as he's knocked out of his mostly asleep state. Miranda jumps up, looking around the room. Serena whines at the loud voice, nuzzling her face into her dad's shirt.

Sam goes to get up, Serena's grip not loosening on his shirt.

"No!" She whines.

"Okay, okay." Sam grabs her, holding her. He steps out of the bedroom, Miranda following.

"Dean?" Sam calls. He flips the light switch in the hallway, the lights flickering. "Go check on Carly and Wyatt." Sam tells his wife who runs off to confirm their children's safety.

"Daddy." Serena whines, her arms wrapping around his neck, burying her face in his neck.

"You're okay, baby. It's okay, baby girl." Sam assures, rushing through the bunker. He passes Dean's room, finding it empty.

He gets to the library, stopping when he sees a chair spinning by itself. Sam grabs an iron sword in one hand and holds it tightly, his grip around his youngest child tightening as well.

Sam whips around at a sound, raising the sword.

"Whoa! Whoa! Hey!" Miranda exclaims, pushing her daughter behind her. Carly shrieks at the sight of the sword. Wyatt's still asleep in his mother's arms, nothing seeming to bug the young boy.

"Shit. No. I-I am so sorry." Sam panics, lowering the sword. "No, babies, I'm sorry." He says, mostly directing it at Carly since he knows Miranda will understand he didn't mean it.

"You woke me up to kill me?" Carly questions.

"What? No!" Sam denies.

"Of course not." Miranda says. "You-- it was just an instinctive move, baby. He's not gonna... do anything to us." She assures, wrapping her free arm around the blonde girl.

A gunshot makes both young girls flinch, Serena whining. The parents and eldest turn to see Dean holding a shotgun which has smoke coming out of the barrel.

"So..." Sam says.

"Yep. Bunker's haunted." Dean says.

~ ~ ~

"How is this possible? I thought you said this was the safest place on the planet." Dean says.

The adults got dressed and Sam and Miranda managed to get their daughters back to sleep.

"Look, I know nothing got in. I mean, the bunker is warded and sigiled from top to bottom. There's no way something came in from the outside." Sam says.

"Okay, so whoever's haunting us died here." Dean says.

"What, dead man of letters?" Sam asks.

"No, that doesn't track. I mean, we're the first people to occupy this place in 50 years. Why would a ghost wait so long to get its spook on?"