Chapter 10: Identity is Revealed

I sat on the sand watching and listening to the waves rise and fall. It was already 7:30 and I was surprised that Aiden was late, and I wasn’t angry either. The beach was my favorite place to be and I didn’t mind spending extra time here.

But it was getting darker, and colder and the sweatshirt I was wearing was keeping me as warm as it was earlier.

Every few minutes I would check my watch or my phone, I even would check up behind me to see if Aiden was quietly sneaking up on me but he wasn’t.

I was stupid to think that he would be here.

I hugged my knees tightly to my chest and leaned my head on top quietly letting the tears fall down my cheek.

Before I knew it, the rain started to pour down on me. I wanted to leave but I had nowhere to go. I couldn’t go back home, not feeling like this.

The ringing of my phone startled me, Dom’s names flashed on the screen.

It felt like I was there sitting in the same position crying for 10 minutes, but it was already 9.

I wiped my tear and tried to get myself together as I answered.

“Hello.” I said loudly trying to speak over the rain in a voice filled with sadness.

“Hey.” He said, I could hear the regret in his voice.

“Where are you?” he asked.

“At the beach… I was supposed to meet Aiden here for the project but he never showed.” I said.

“Oh Hailie its pouring.” He said with sympathy.

“I want to apologize for being an asshole earlier.” He began to say before I interrupted him.

“No, Dom you were right…” I said holding back tears.

“No I wasn’t. I never had a best friend, so I don’t understand. All I know is that I hate when you’re upset, and he’s usually the reason. I don’t know if Aidens changed but Ill do whatever I have to do to help you find out.” He said.

“Thanks Dom, but I’m starting to doubt it myself…” I said as I played with the sand in my hands.

“Listen how about you come over my house and we watch a movie, get your mind off of this.” He said and I couldn’t help but smile.

“Sounds good.” I said.

“Alright I’ll pick you up now, stay where you are.” He said and hung up.

It was nice to have someone that’s there for me.

***

It was a silent drive to Dom’s house, and I was thankful to have that time to get my thoughts organized.

But as soon as I stepped out of the car and Dom stood in front of me I wrapped my arms around his neck and held him tightly. It was something I needed to do…needed to feel.

“Thank you.” I said with a small smile.

“No problem.” He said.

He took my hand and then guided me through the familiar path to the side of the house.

When I got inside it was so warm and toasty. Sitting outside by the water in only a sweater wasn’t the smartest thing.

“Your lips are blue. Let me go get you something to wear.” He said and then disappeared into his room.