Chapter 8: Just A Bad Day

It wasn’t easy going to school on Monday for many reasons. One, Shawn was back but thankfully he stayed away from me, and barely even talked to Jay.

Two, as soon as I stepped into school I could hear the whispers about the mystery man that I was with at the dance.

But seeing Aiden in school was a lot harder, which was reason number 3. Knowing what I knew made me want to talk to him and help him, but I couldn’t…

It also didn’t help that I could feel him burning a hole through my back in every class. I could feel his eyes on me, watching me…it was a bit creepy.

But the worse was first period which was English, Aiden and I sat right next to each other.

“Ok class today I’m going to assign your first project. You will work with the person next to you and I will give you a scene to interpret from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, and reenact in front of the class next week.” Mr. Amato said.

Oh God. I was going to have to work with him and I didn’t think I was going to be able to handle that. I haven’t even spoke to him but I still want to cry to him about everything that I found out yesterday.

Even though I felt his eyes on me I refused to look at him…I just couldn’t.

“Ok guys here are your scenes…” Mr. Amato continued to give each pair a scene from the play.

“Grey, Adams, you have Act 2, scene 2.” He said to us.

I knew that play very well, and I knew that was the balcony scene where Romeo confesses his love. I could barely breathe, so as soon as the bell rang I rushed out of the classroom.

In the middle of lunch I sent a text to Dom.

‘I was assigned to work on a project with Aiden I don’t think I can handle that-Hailie.’

‘Can’t you talk to your teacher?-Dom’ he responded.

‘I can’t. No one else is going to work with him on this. Every time I think about everything he went through I want to cry.-Hailie’ I texted back.

‘Listen I’ll pick you up from school we’ll talk then.-Dom’

‘Ok-Hailie’ I answered.

After I told Jay that I was getting a ride home I quickly got my books out of my locker and went outside.

Dom was in the front of the school in a white escalade truck. Everyone was staring, girls were smiling and whispering but as they saw me enter the truck they stared with envy.

“Wow that girl looked like she was ready to jump on the hood of my truck.” He said as he pulled out of the parking lot.