Eleven

NASH

Her lips were all I could think about

Her lips were all I could think about. Not only that, her soft skin and radiant smell hung on the tips of my fingers and swirled inside my nasal passages.

         Nina Ortiz.

         We hadn't done anything more than kiss as we lay in the hotel bed, but it had been explosive enough.

It was when she started to shiver from our wetness did I stop and let her slide underneath the comforter for warmth.

I didn't mean to stay the first night with her, but it sorta just happened. It was different to lie in bed beside someone. It almost gave me a sobering moment of reality: that feeling of loneliness. I never felt lonely or alone, but lying in bed with Nina sleeping beside me, breathing, radiating body heat, it made me realize that my bed at home felt cold on one side.

Sometime during the night she'd gotten up to wash the chlorine from her hair and I could smell the shampoo she'd used as some of her hair was splayed across her pillow.

We said it'd be for one night, but somehow we ended up exchanging numbers, listed in each other's contact under a code name. For me, I chose to name Nina's contact 'Gongju,' the Korean term for 'princess,' something that made her blush and scowl. She looked as if she'd had a hard life, and maybe it was pity, or maybe it was chivalry, but something in me wanted her to feel and be treated like a princess. It was obvious she broke her back treating her grandmother like a queen. I admired that about Nina and her brother, doing what they could to help their ailing grandmother.

Nina told me I was listed under 'Salvador' in her phone. The Spanish word for 'savior.' This did furnish a smile out of me. She was a princess and I was a savior. What the hell were we thinking?

It was the first time in a long time that I reveled in a happy sensation. I liked the drunkenness with Nina. Being stupid, happy, joking around and being carefree felt good. It wasn't about business for once and I needed that escape for a night. Everyone should drink once in a while, be drunk on life and good times. It could really loosen you and cool your nerves.

No matter how good Friday night was, there was no escaping going back to business as usual when Monday rolled around.

I spotted Bridger and a few other Dragons as I pulled up to the student parking lot. They were standing by the back of the building and after parking I joined them. There was a boy they had pinned up against the building. He was trembling like a little bitch. By his tan skin and features I got the hint he was a Soldier, or at least affiliated. Either way he'd definitely fucked up to be cornered by some Dragons.

"What's up?" I asked as I greeted Bridger with a handshake.

"He's late on a payment," Bridger explained as he gestured to the boy. "I gave him a good supply of Xanax and Adderall and he owes me—us, $300."