Twenty-Five

NASH

Sometimes Rowland could be boring when Nina was away at work for ten hours of the day

Sometimes Rowland could be boring when Nina was away at work for ten hours of the day. Soh wasn't too busy on the weekends, but there was only so much time we could spend together to distract me from what I really wanted. During the week it was all about being a Dragon and proving myself to my brother and the others, I wasn't allowed to think about Nina and let her get in my head. Here in Rowland on the weekends, it was all I could do, and all I wanted to do.

         The sight of her crying was still fresh on my mind as I lay back on the chaise on the balcony at the suite. We didn't talk personal, but hearing her background and what she'd gone through with her parents, all I could do was sit back and admire her for her strength. No wonder she felt like she had to take care of herself and be strong, she'd had no choice. Nina loved her abuela more than anything, but I couldn't help but feel some sort of way about the fact her grandmother had called her worse than her mother. I didn't too much care that her people thought low of me, from Mariposa not trusting me, to abuela thinking I would only bring harm and malice to Nina's world, but when it came to insulting her, that was a problem for me.

Soh thought there was no line for us and everything was gang related, but when I was with Nina, I didn't see her as a Soldier, I saw her as Nina, and on some days, I saw her as more.

Thinking about her wasn't enough, so I decided to go and text her, testing to see if she was busy.

Me: Send me a picture

Fortunately for me, she wasn't busy because she was quick to reply.

Gongju: I'm not feeling pretty right now

I rolled my eyes. She was always pretty.

Me: I don't care, send me an ugly picture

Minutes later I got a picture message of Nina blowing me a kiss, and then another of her pretending to be angry, another of her looking cross eyed and puckering her lips. She flooded me with a range of photos, looking amazing in each one.

Me: That's my girl

Me: Let's see a movie tonight or something

Gongju: Couldn't we stay in?

Me: You never know how to keep your hands to yourself when we're alone together

Gongju: Are you complaining, Nash?

Me: No, I'm anticipating ;)

She sent me a kissy face emoji and I almost was soft enough to send one back.