Twenty-Four

NINA

Time wasn't going by fast enough

Time wasn't going by fast enough. It felt like every Friday ticked by so slowly, and every Sunday flew by within a blink of an eye. It wasn't fair. My weekends felt so limited, like small pieces of heaven, but any shared moment with Nash was worth it.

I wasn't allowed to have pictures of my boyfriend on my phone for obvious reasons, but the one picture safe enough to have, I cherished. It was a simple shot of his hand and mine on a table at some restaurant. Nash's large hand covered my slender one, a picture of the only source of affection I could have in Hacienda. I loved that stupid swallow tattoo of his.

         To pass the time as I waited for the final bell to ring, I peeked at the photo and allowed myself to be giddy about what was to come. Behind me Nash was busy talking to Yumi, paying me no mind. With the few seconds I had to spy, I admired his profile, from his smile, to his handsome structured face, to his size, and to that infuriatingly adorable personality of his. Nash was arrogant and he didn't seem to care or aim to change this fact, not that I was complaining, because a growing part of me liked it, a lot.

         God, I was fangirling—but who wouldn't?

         The thing about Nash, he made me feel young, carefree and light as a feather. I didn't have to be strong and have my guard up around him. I could just be Nina and I craved that. For the first time I had someone taking care of me.

         With the world he had to be a man, with me he got to be the boy. I guess that defined us perfectly, as I felt the need to be a woman in public and hold my own, but with Nash, only Nash, did I feel safe enough to let him take the lead, and just be the girl. It wasn't a power play for him, because if we disagreed he emphasized hearing me out and discussing things. If I got mad at him he'd just take it, only once did he get the nerve enough to yell back. That was what I liked most, he wasn't babying me like Hector, he respected me as a person, but wasn't afraid to stand up to me either.

         The beginning of anything is always the best, and with Nash, every day with him felt like the beginning.

         I was growing to want to be with him every day, and sometimes I had to stop myself and gain control. I had to force myself to pull away at times, because it couldn't all be true and real. I had to pretend to be impassive at the impending end of us. That was the trouble with having fun. Sometimes you just didn't want to stop, even for your own good. He could be the death of me, and on some days, I'd let him.

         Mariposa nudged me. "What's that?"

         I put my phone away. "Nothing. I was just checking the time."

         Mariposa gave me a weird look, silently calling me out for my bullshit.

         The bell rang and she was on my back as we exited the room. Mari was smart enough to know something was up, hell, even she was getting curious about my weekends and how I was never available.