Forty

NASH

The last time I saw Mother I was twelve years old, standing in an airport waving goodbye

The last time I saw Mother I was twelve years old, standing in an airport waving goodbye. She was bigger than me then, now, not so much. At my six-four, she was a good five-five. I would engulf her if she let me hug her.

I hoped she would.

         Behind her three security guards were approaching us. They stared at my father, their hands brushing along the weapons on their utility belts for caution.

         "You know the rules, Soh," one of them said as they neared closer.

         Father pulled a 180 as his eyes enlarged, looking from Mother to the guards. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, it won't happen again." He looked to me, in a panic, desperate, almost reaching out to me. "Tell them it's okay."

         I stroked my jaw, looking over at the three guards and nodding. "It's okay, we won't get out of hand again."

         They slit their eyes, studying the two of us before backing off, giving a warning.

         Once out of earshot, Father nudged me. "Leave us."

         I was about to, but Mother blocked my route. "He stays."

         Father frowned, or rather, he pouted. "What are you doing here, Hye?"

         Mother came closer, smiling bitterly. "I came to bury my son." Her aging eyes swept towards me. "And to see my other one." Her soft hand reached out and captured mine. "How are you, Nash?"

         "Jeon gwenchanayo, eomeoni," I said as I nodded politely.

         Mother's lips curled up. "You've been doing well with Soh Yeun, I see."

         Father was busy staring at her, like he'd just seen an angel fall from the sky and he couldn't believe it. While I wanted to bask in Mother's presence as well, I understood that for him it had been far longer since he'd seen or actually heard from her.

         Humbly, I stepped back from the two of them. "I will leave you two alone."

         Father's expression softened as he regarded me. "Kamsahamnida."

         Mother stepped in front of me before I could depart them. "Do not go far."

         I nodded and headed back inside and waited in the lobby.

         Without my Baoding balls or a cigarette, I was left to manage my stress by pacing.

         She looked better.

         The last time I'd seen Mother she was a broken mute. She had lost her spirit upon Father's prison sentence and cried heavily for days and weeks until she finally decided to leave for Korea.