Four

NINA

I was fortunate to be able to get to the pharmacy before it closed

I was fortunate to be able to get to the pharmacy before it closed. Being able to walk out with abuela's prescription made my night worth it.

         Still, I was going to kill Bentley as soon as I saw him. The things I'd done to him...the things I'd let him do to me... He promised to pay me, and like the snake he was he threw me from his car and drove off without thinking twice. I was close to my neighborhood but you still never knew what type of sickos roamed the streets at night. And he left me to fend for myself in a mini skirt and top that almost let my breasts spill out.

I was going to kill him.

I knew too many Soldiers who owed me a favor from fixing their cars. Teaching Bentley a lesson would be too easy.

And then there was Nash. The same intense Nash from school. The same Nash who had given me a hoodie when he didn't have to. We'd never spoken before and there he was without judgment and a hundred and fifty bucks.

It was embarrassing to be caught in the act like that, no matter how much my pride told me it was for a worthy cause. The way Nash had acted so nonchalant almost gave me hope that not all of the Soh Dragons were assholes like his brother.

Abuela was going to be okay and that was all that mattered.

The streets were a little chilly as I walked them alone, I tugged the hoodie closer and kept trying to pull my skirt down, as if the material would magically elongate enough to cover my ass and chocha.

Before me the road was vacant, and as eerie as that seemed, I welcomed it. No one was out to see me in such a way. No one was walking around to stop and stare at me, or worse, catcall.

A car rounded a corner up ahead and headlights flooded down the near dark street and I froze, wondering who was coming down the block.

An arm stuck out the window and I relaxed at the waving of a black and white bandana, a Soldier waving our flag, telling me I was safe.

The white Beretta pulled up alongside me and I approached the car at the sight of a couple of the boys.

Ronaldo, an older member of Los Soldados, was riding shotgun as Felix, a boy Hector's age, drove.

Ronaldo took a peek at my attire and looked up at me, his dark eyes void of a tell. "I didn't know you were workin'."

My cheeks flushed red with shame. "I'm not. I was invited to this party and I got lost."

Ronaldo simply nodded his head and I couldn't tell if he believed my lie or not. "Need a lift?"

I was sorta cold and saying no would look a certain way. I had no choice.