thirteen.

ִ ࣪𖤐

ִ ࣪𖤐

THE DAY WAS PASSING FAST, AND SOMEHOW I FOUND MYSELF WANDERING AROUND THE HOUSE. I was just trying to memorize every little detail, because I had no idea if this was going to be the last time I really experienced this house.

I walked carefully through the kitchen, then make my way into the dining room. I hadn't expected Conrad to be sitting at the table, but he was. He looked up when I entered, and I almost turned around and walked back into the kitchen.

"Hey."

My stomach fluttered ( I swear I didn't mean for that to happen ) and I met his gaze. "Hey."

Conrad cleared his throat and set his phone down. "I'm, uh, about to get on a call with Dad, if you wanted to join."

My eyes widen just a fraction, and I nod. I find myself sitting in the seat next to Conrad, something that I usually wouldn't have done. But even broken up, I still gravitated towards him.

"Did you know Jere and Belly went to see Aunt Julia?" He asked, his eyes focused on his phone.

"I did." I admit, and Conrad looks over to me. "You don't have to do this alone, Conrad. We're here to help you, and support you."

Conrad nods slightly. "That's what Jere said. He wants to get both of our trusts involved."

"That's smart. He'll always be in your corner, you know." 

Just as Conrad opened his mouth to reply, Belly and Jeremiah walked down the stairs. I sat back in my chair and Conrad looked to his phone.

"Dad should be calling soon." Conrad announced, and I gave them a small smile.

Belly looked at the brothers before saying, "Do you guys wanna talk to him alone? I can wait upstairs."

"No, stay." Conrad shook his head, then glanced over at me for a moment. "You can both stay. It's your house as much as it is ours."

A shrill ringtone echoed through the room, and Belly and Jere took seats across from us. Conrad answered, then put his phone on speaker and placed it in the middle of the table. "Dad, hey."

"Hey, Con. I only got about a few minutes here."

"Hey, Dad." Jere spoke up hopefully.

"Jere? You're in Cousins, too?" Adam queried.

Jere smiled, "Yeah, just got here last night."

"All right, look, I got a heads-up from the bank telling me you're trying to access your trust. That's not gonna happen." Their dad explained.

"So you've already made up your mind?" Conrad asked, shaking his head.

"Yeah. I mean, that money is for your future. I'm not gonna let you blow it on a beach house."