eight.

ִ ࣪𖤐

ִ ࣪𖤐

THE DAY OF THE DEB BALL HAD ARRIVED. It had been just a little over a week since Conrad had told me about Susannah, and since we had our talk about Nicole. The end of the summer was near, and I still wasn't quite sure what I wanted.

Yesterday, Susannah had stolen me away for the afternoon so she could paint my portrait. I had changed into my blue sundress, the same one I wore for the Fourth, and sat in a chair outside with the beach in the background. We sat in silence for a while, until Susannah started to dig into me.

"So, it looks like you've bene able to get through to Connie." She said, peeking over her easel at me.

I shook my head softly. "I guess. It's still just leftover feelings about Aubrey." I lied easily, trying not to show any true emotions. Of course,  he hadn't talked to me about Aubrey— he talked to me about me. And the whole cancer coming back thing.

"I see. You know, I always figured you two were destined for each other. You've been connected at the hip since birth." She revealed, continuing to paint.

"Oh, really? I don't know about that."

"Mhm." She nodded, sending me a smug smile. "He was devastated last summer when you couldn't come. And that you weren't responding to him. He was almost as bad as he's been this year. And not to mention how much he admires you."

I had looked to the grass, trying to hold back tears. I knew he was upset, but devastated? "Yeah, I apologized for that. It was just all too much."

"I understand. You're strong though." Susannah had stopped painting and was just staring at me now. I met her bright blue eyes, which were now glossy. "You're so strong, Stella."

I nodded, and then she went back to painting. We didn't talk anymore after that, and the rest of the painting only took about 30 more minutes.

Now, the day after, I was changing and getting ready for the day ahead. I opted for a long floral skirt with a cropped tank top, knowing it would be hot. I would change into my fancier dress later at the country club.

I had already done my makeup, and packed up my camera for tonight. I checked my makeup one last time in the mirror before heading down to the kitchen.

When I arrived, Belly and Jeremiah were sitting at the countertop and Conrad was at the coffee maker. Conrad turned his head right when I stepped off the stairs. "Hey, good morning, Stels. I, um—" I watched as he grabbed a box from next to the stove as I walked up to the island, "I picked up some of those good muffins." Conrad opened the box and leaned one hand onto the counter as he looked down at me.

"Thank you." I smile at him softly, and he returns the gesture.

"Oh, girls, you should get going." Susannah says as she walks in with Belly's ( and my ) dress bag. "Oh, and everyone, stay out of the family room. I've done all your paintings and tonight after the ball, we'll have a big unveiling." She grins, and then hands off the dress bag to Jere. "Can you put that in Laurel's car, honey?"