prologue

Heyo I just would like to say a few things before we start.

so, MC looks like this,

this is an aang x oc, so if you are not happy with the way that MC is described as a fictional person, you can click off

English isn't my first language, so I would like to apologise for spelling errors and/or grammatical errors that may occur in the story.

thank you, and enjoy.

edit:  thanks for 1k reads! I didn't think we'll get this far!

edit II: thank you so much for 45k reads! that's so crazy!

~

tapping of feet against the concrete floors. shallow breaths. distant screams. the hiss of flames burning flesh. that was all that Liara could hear as she hastily ran through the temple corridors.

she just needed to make it to her bison. she just needed to get to Diki and she'd be out of here. the bison was her only hope. her only escape.

the scent of burning skin burned her nostrils and she gagged, almost tripping over her own feet when she caught a glimpse of a monk being scorched alive by a firebender.

tears blurred the poor girl's vision as she kept running. she couldn't stop. not for anyone.

she turned the corner and....

dead end.

maybe it was her instant karma for being selfish. maybe it was her fate. to die like a martyr by the hands of an above-average powerful firebender thanks to that spiritforsaken comet.

"I've got you now, you little rat." the firebender growled as he stalked towards the thirteen-year-old girl like a predator closing in on it's prey.

liara shrieked and backed up into the windowless wall, her brown eyes darting everywhere. she was desperately trying to come up with a plan.

as a flame the size of liara's head lit up in the firebender's hand, the tattooed girl gave up for a millisecond.

for that millisecond, she thought of her friends in the other temples. we're they in the same boat as her or were they already dead? Aang. Meijing. Chiyo.

she also thought of her mentor, monk nora, who told her to do what it takes to stay alive. she wondered if that meant anything on the plate.

and she moved without thinking. her eyes were trained on the firebender in front of her as a sphere of air began forming around his head. yet, it wasn't just any air. the sphere had been formed out of the air in the firebender's lungs.

it span around him, removing every particle of oxygen that he could possibly have had in his lungs, and when liara couldn't pull any more air out of him, he fell limp on the ground.

the moment she saw him laying motionless, it was probably then when it resonated. she just went against all of the lessons the monks have taught her.

she just committed taboo in the world of the airbenders. may the spirits take mercy on her, for she did it to save herself.

after a good minute of staring at the fire bender who laid motionless on the floor, she ran past him and leaped from a nearby window, opening her glider and hopping on.

liara placed her thumb and pointer finger in her mouth and whistled for Diki to come. whilst flying upwards and out of the raveen that the western air temple was built in, a large flying bison with sky blue eyes flew towards the girl at alarming speeds.

this didn't scare the airbender. in fact, she closed her glider and free-fell onto the bison's head, "thank you for saving me, girl." the preteen muttered into the bison's creamy white fur. the bison let out a groan and flew away from the raveen of the western air temple.

after a few hours of flying, the comet finally passed and the night sky revealed glistening stars decorating the heavens.

liara finally saw a cave and rubbed diki's head, "I see a cave, girl. let's go down there, yip yip!" she made the sound that she had used with diki oh so much, and they both entered the cave.

once diki was laying down, liara removed the saddle and placed it someplace else in the cave and then she used an orange blanket to cover herself. she then proceeded to lay down on diki's leg, the warmth of the bison's body heat lulling liara to sleep.

~

she felt patting on her cheek.

"hey. hey."

more patting.

"wake up, child."

more patting.

liara finally pried open her eyes and squinted from the light. there were large leaves all around her and she was laid atop her orange blanket.

to her left, Diki was playing with some strange looking animals, and to her right, there sat.... a baboon who wore airbender-like clothes.

she sat up and rubbed her eyes. was this a dream?

the baboon pinched her and she yelped.

definitely not.

"where am I? what is this place?" she asked the baboon. he smiled at her and gestured around him, "this is the spirit world. I have brought you here with my awesome spirit powers." he told her.

the girl immediately straightened her posture and bowed at the spirit. "thank you for having me, great spirit." she said quickly.

the baboon laughed and helped her up, "i am yao the wise." he told her, leading her up and through the leafy forest. "spirit yao," liara said, "why am I here? I didn't even meditate."

"my child, you have seen the terrible things that has happened to your people." yao said, placing his hand on the girl's shoulder. "now only you and the avatar remain as the last airbenders."

liara looked at him with deep chocolaty eyes, "the avatar?"

the baboon man nodded, "yes. you have met him. if I recall, you had your mastery tattoo ceremony together at the southern air temple."

liara stared at the baboon with wide eyes, "aang? he's the avatar? why didn't he tell me?" she questioned the spirit, feeling as if she had missed a few chapters.

"my dear, your friend faced great conflict upon finding out that he is the avatar. he was frightened and ran away, he ended up frozen until a waterbender thawed him."

"what? I don't understand." she said to yao, tilting her head to the side. "all will be revealed in due time. it is finally time for you to wake up now."

"wait..no I don't get what you're saying." liara tried to reason, but the baboon shook his head. "much time had passed, liara. do not be surprised. it is time for someone to give hope to the avatar."

when yao touched her forehead with his finger, she vanished. he then did the same with her bison and finally sighed. "good grief. I hope she doesn't cry because of the time that has passed. At least her hair grew a bit longer."