Chapter 17. Shopping

Ruby's POV

While everyone else was having a date I was hanging out with my friends at the mall. 

"What store is next?" Quinn asked the group. Quinn was the most like me in the group, she was the definition of blonde bombshell. Long blonde hair, and green eyes and she was quite tall at 5'9". Quinn's dad owned a car dealership and her mom was a model before she had Quinn. 

"Rose," Maeve suggested. Rose was an expensive boutique in the mall that was famous for customizing any product. Maeve was a brunette girl about my height. Maeve was the only one of us who had an actual boyfriend, Sam, Maeve's grandparents died a few years ago which left her mom a substantial inheritance. 

"Sounds good." We all agreed and made our way around the mall. Once we got into the store I looked around to find the three security guards Dad assigned me standing around the front door watching. 

I start by looking through the bags they have. I spot a cute handbag I grab it deciding to add it to my growing collection. I walk around the shop for anything else, nothing else catches my eye so I hook back up with the girls. A few of them have some stuff but we all decide to check out and leave. 

I go first since I had only one item. I swipe Dad's credit card and accept the receipt. I step away with the larger black bag that holds my bag, counter-productive I know. 

We all walk out and decide to take an early break at the food court. To be honest none of us needed to go to the mall for anything but we all were bored. 

We walk to the food court and find a table to fit us all. We set our bags down. Only a few of us actually get food I settle for just getting a smoothie since I ate an early lunch just before I came. 

I sip on my drink as we all gossip about the people at our school. This is what I needed, quality time with my friends. Since my birthday I've been staying home with someone always with me a little bit too afraid to leave ever again. 

When Maeve texted me about coming out with them I knew it was what I needed. 

"I'll be back," I tell the table. I take my empty smoothie cup towards the trash can across the room. I get back to the table and everyone is done so we head back to shopping. 

We shop around for a bit in different stores. In one of the last stores, we go to. I wander around not really looking at anything. 

As expected and cliche as it sounds I bump into someone. 

"I am so sorry," I say to the person. I look up at them seeing a guy my age. He has darker-tanned skin, blonde shaggy hair, and brown eyes. He was taller than me, which wasn't hard and was wearing a tank top showing off his toned arms. He had that classic surfer boy look. 

"It's no problem." He tells me. 

"I'm Ruby." I hold out my hand moving a few shopping bags around. 

"Dax." He shakes my hand giving me a cute smile. "I haven't seen you around before you new in town?" He asks. 

"Kinda, I moved here a few months ago," I tell him smiling bashfully. 

"That makes sense. For a second I thought we met but I would remember a face like that until the end of time." 

I giggle a little. 

"Smooth," I say sarcastically. 

"I try." He says back. 

"You're funny, but I got to go my friends are probably waiting," I say after seeing two of them waiting outside of the store. 

"Of course. But how bout I give you my number and we can set up a time that can be just us uninterrupted?" I smile at him nodding. I pull out my phone and allow him to put his number into my phone. 

He gives it back and smiles at me. I smile back. 

"Text me, I'll be waiting." I nod before walking away to my friends. 

"Who was that?" Maeve asks me looking back into the store at Dax who is still shopping. 

"Dax."

"Does Dax have a phone number?" Quinn asks me. 

"Or a brother?" Alice asks. 

"I got his number. I'm gonna text him when I get home." I inform them. 

"Good job Ruby. I thought for sure you would never date in high school after how you and Bradley ended." Quinn says. 

"Well I can't dwell on the losers of my past for too long now can I," I ask rhetorically remembering Bradley and everything that is going on. 

Hopefully, things with Dax will go better. 

I can't handle another asshole like that again.