CHAPTER 15

The moment Zack and I exited the supply room, we turned to our movie. As we came upon the door, he opened it for me to go through. There was already a huge crowd of teenagers inside. We both immediately looked down as we made our way to our seats. My fangs came out on accident, but I made sure to hide them.

The movie started right as the two of us sat down. The FBI warning and all that showed, and I was instantly bored. By the time the actual movie started, I closed my eyes. I guess I just had a habit of falling asleep during movies.

I dreamt about what happened earlier today. Mom was definitely acting weird. She was okay with everything and she seemed a little obsessed about me. It wasn't like her at all. Soon, I imagined myself running in darkness. I didn't know where I was going, but I could feel something chasing me. Eventually, I fell to the ground. I tried scrambling away, but I couldn't move. I turned around. The thing that was behind me walked up to me. I shivered in fear. The thing bent down close to my face, and I gasped. It was Mom, but at the same time, it wasn't Mom. She had an evil grin on her face. Her short, brown hair brushed my face.

"Mom?" I called out to her. She only put her finger to her lips and made a shushing sound. Her hand slowly crept up my chest until it was right over my heart. I tried moving around still, but it didn't work. Mom was right over me at this point.

"Good night, Gina," she whispered. And with that, she dug her hand in my heart.

I sat up from my seat. I panted and wheezed as I tried to assess the dream I had. Mom was in trouble. I looked up at the screen as some demon man sat on a throne and spoke in a language I didn't understand. On my right, Zack stuffed popcorn in my mouth. I leaned over.

"Zack, I'm sorry I can't stay, but I need to go," I whispered. He looked at me.

"What? Why?" he murmured back. His eyes glanced every so often to see what was happening in the movie.

"I was thinking about my mom. She acted weird this morning and I'm worried there's something wrong with her," I explained. Other people in the crowd shushed me. Zack nodded.

"That's okay. It wasn't like you were watching the movie anyway," he chuckled. My cheeks burned. He obviously noticed I dozed off. How embarrassing. I shuffled to the end of the row and rushed down the staircase. I was out of that movie theater faster than lightning.

I ran all the way home. A few cars almost ran me over, but I didn't care. The thought of what Mom could be doing raced through my mind. By the time I came home, I was gasping and wheezing from all that running. I staggered to the front porch.

Before I even got to knock, the door slowly creaked open. The entire house was dim. Keeping my hand on the wall, I proceeded inside.

"Mom? Mom, are you okay?" I called out. A soft groan echoed throughout the household. A small ray of light shined its way through all the darkness. I made my way over until I found myself in the kitchen. I turned the corner to find the fridge slightly ajar. Lying next to it was a figure that muttered to itself softly.

"Mom?" I whispered. The figure didn't move. I tiptoed over to her and bent down. I shook it a bit.