CHAPTER 14

Everything was dark. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. I could feel the pulling and tugging that kept on hurting my leg. I felt the pain eating away at the stub that was my hand. Everything ached.

After what seemed like an entire eternity, I opened my eyes. White filled my vision. It hurt to look at light. I sat up, but pain shot through my body. I winced and looked around me. Mom and Dad sat next to my hospital bed. My heart sank as a doctor walked up to them and whispered something. Mom slowly nodded.

"Gina, we must be the luckiest parents alive to have a child go through all of this pain yet still survive," she stated. She looked me all over. "But I was able to get to know something about you." I waited for her answer. Whenever she talked like that, anyone could just know she found out something. Mom sighed. "Are you... a vampire?"

My heart skipped a beat. The secret was out. She knew. I closed my eyes. I was afraid of how she was going to react. But nothing happened. I opened my eyes again. Mom just nodded and smiled at me. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Mom, I'm a vampire. Does that not, you know, freak you out?" I questioned. Mom froze for a moment. She didn't seem to understand what I was trying to get here. Eventually, she sighed.

"I'm just glad my daughter is alive," she said. The two of us just stared at each other. There was something weird about Mom; there seemed to be a different air around her. I shook my head, trying to get rid of the thought. Maybe it was just all in my head.

During the ride home, I studied my hand. It was wrapped up in bandages and held in an arm sling. I tried to wiggle my fingers, but I felt nothing. While looking up, I caught Mom spying on me. There was a weird, creepy smile on her face. Immediately disturbed, I looked out the window. This was weird; a little too weird.

When we were finally home, I got out of the car and started walking inside. I heard Mom as she walked right behind me. By the time we were inside, I was officially creeped out. I turned around right as Mom walked in. I sighed.

"Mom, are you okay? You seem to be acting weird," I pointed out. She furrowed her eyebrows.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Gina," she answered right back. Her gaze was fixated on my hand. I stared at her. Her eyes were a brighter green than usual. I started making my way up the stairs.

"Well, okay then," I said. Mom watched me as I disappeared up the stairs. The moment she was out of sight, I dashed into my room and locked the door. Mom was being especially creepy. I looked down at my left hand and tried wiggling my fingers. I was successful this time. Immediately eager, I unraveled the bandages. My hand was there. A smile crept upon my face as I marveled at it. I was so happy I had fast regeneration. Just as I relished in my success, someone knocked on my door. I knew it was Mom.

Found with nothing else to do, I rushed over to my window and climbed out. I dropped to the ground, thankfully not breaking any bones. I didn't want to take any chances, so I just broke out in a dash through Duck Pond. I didn't know exactly where I was going, but I knew I needed to get away from the freak that was now my mother.

By the time I realized where I was, I ended up at a creamy brown house with a red roof. The house seemed a little too familiar. I walked up to the front door and knocked. I waited a bit, still not knowing whose house I'd gone to. But the door soon opened, and I could have honestly guessed who it was.