CHAPTER 11

"Great Scott John n' Heimer?" I asked. The man nodded his head vigorously, as if he expected me to suddenly remember and be surprised. When I didn't do anything, he dropped his grand posture.

"This is sad, really. Where's my legacy now?" he complained. After a while of reminiscing, he waved his hand dismissively.

"Oh well. What's done is in the past. Let's make this simple, shall we? Just call me Mr. Heimer, or Scott John, or Scott John n' Heimer, or Scott the Great, or-"

"How about I just call you John?" I suggested. John nodded his head and grunted. He looked down at the ground in thought.

"You still have to tell me why you're here, and how you even know me." I pointed out. John looked back up at me.

"Do you know a Marie?" he asked me. I nodded.

"Yeah, she's my grandmother."

"Yes, yes. Anyways, I know Marie, and she knows me. You could say that we're... good friends. The last time we met, she told me she needed someone trustworthy to monitor her granddaughter." He furrowed his eyebrows. "You are the one she calls Gina Holdyer, right?" I nodded again. I sighed.

"Well that's great and all, but I don't really need any supervising. I already have a witch as my guardian and I think I'm doing pretty good keeping myself in check." John shook his head.

"Poppycock. I've seen many youths in my lifetime; one day they're perfectly fine, but in the next, they're gulping down the entire population. In fact, may I recall the one Saturday when multiple murders took place consecutively. A little weird how that could happen in a town like Athens, especially with each victim having two marks on their necks," he noted. I looked down at my feet, pursing my lips. I couldn't respond to that.

"Exactly. Well, we can start this monitoring business by going to this party you've been invited to." I looked up at him with shock and horror.

"Wait, how did you find out about the party?!" I gasped. John shrugged.

"I've been watching you for a while now. I heard you talking about this party with your friend Zack, who smells a bit like wet dog."

"First off, Zack does not smell bad. Second, you are not coming to this party with me. The last thing I need is some old Brit following me around in a room full of werewolves," I demanded. John gawked at me.

"In a room of werewolves? Gina, that is the most outrageous thing I have ever heard, and I have heard many things in my day. You know how vampires and werewolves are together; you most certainly will not be going alone. I must come at once!" And that was how I ended up with a British vampire in a cool party filled with a whole bunch of werewolves.

I tried to look as casual as possible, but John had on a heavy robe with a blood-red cape and a black musketeer-looking hat. Every person we passed by looked at us weirdly. It took a while before I found Zack talking to someone in his kitchen. He turned to me as John and I made our way over.

"Hey Gina, I'm glad you could make-" Zack paused as he examined John. "Who's your friend?" John bowed in front of him. I pursed my lips, my cheeks heating up from the embarrassment.

"My name is Great Scott John-"

"His name's John," I butted in. Zack stepped forward and shook hands with John. They both smiled awkwardly as they pulled their hands away.

"Well I'm happy you could, um, make it," Zack said. He had a fake smile on his face. John leaned down to me.

"I'm going to go to the restroom for a bit. Be back in a bit," he murmured. With that, he walked off to the bathroom. In his absence, Zack grabbed my arm and pulled me further into the kitchen.