Chapter 14: An Off Day

It was 2 days prior to Nationals and at a park called the Thomas F. Regan Memorial City Beach, which also has a beach and gave wonderful views of the mountains and lake. Abby, Cooper and the girls all arrive at the park as the girls did some aerials and high kicks which amused the dance teacher and her son as the moms stayed behind.

"Look at the mountains." Abby told the girls, who all sat down on blankets and admired the lake and mountains. "Girls, Coop, i brought you here because to be honest, i'm so tired of just being in a hotel ballroom and a competition. You've got to see the world even though you all have done that already, but still."

The girls put their blankets on the grass and sat on them before they did some stretching and lengthning the back of their legs to get them ready for Nationals as Cooper sat with Brooke.

"Coop, Brooke, smile!" Abby exclaimed as her son and Brooke looked at the camera before the dance teacher took their photo.

"Cute couple." Paige teased.

"Paigey..." Cooper and Brooke responded as the girls and Abby laughed.

"Chloe, can you come with me? I want to talk to you, but you aren't in trouble or anything." Abby assured as Chloe got up and walked with her dance teacher. "Chloe, your mother informed me that you had a breakdown and you also told her you didn't want to dance anymore."

"Miss Abby, to tell you the truth, i feel it's a ton of rehearsal time as we rehearse from the early morning to late night and learning new dances, i just feel that it is a lot. I'm not saying i want to stop dancing, i just would take a little break even though i love dancing." Chloe told the dance teacher.

"Everybody needs a break once in a while, even my son." Abby commented. "Chloe, you're my first choice when it comes to duets with Maddie and i truly believe you are born to dance. We know you can become a Rockette or make it on Broadway one day. You have to have your confidence level over the top as long as you put your mind to it, anything's possible, just listen to me and do what i tell you and it can happen."

Chloe nodded before she and Abby headed back to where Cooper and the other girls were.

Minutes later, Abby decided to take Cooper and Brooke on the MS Dixie II boat and there, they and the other passengers were just admiring the lake as the other girls and their moms were bowling. Cooper was taking pictures of the scenery.

"I bet those'll be great photos, maybe they can be on a Calendar one day." Abby remarked.

"It could." Cooper said.

"Coop, you've actually had some photos on some calendars." Brooke reminded her boyfriend.

"Oh, yeah, i did. One of them was a photo of the Chicago Skyline at night, even though i've done that several times."

"Yeah."

"Brooke, 2 years ago, my mom and i came here for a vacation and it was sometime after my 11th birthday, we rode the Gondola and went hiking to the Tahoe Treetop Adventure Park and i even zip lined."

"I bet that was cool."

"Yes it was."

"I love being outside with the fresh air." Cooper said

"We all do." Abby told her son.

Later, everybody arrived back at the hotel for the remainder of the evening and Cooper then saw Melissa and he could tell that she looked really irritated about something.

"Mel, is everything ok?" Cooper asked.

"No, Coop, my ex-husband Kurt just showed up while we were out bowling." Melissa responded.

"Looks like he wants to try to pull Maddie and Mackenzie from mom's studio as he claims that it ruined your marriage to him, but if anything, he's the one that ruined it as he lost you." Cooper told Melissa. "If he tries to pull Maddie and Mackenzie from the studio, mom and myself'll put a stop to that."

"Thanks." Melissa told Cooper, kissing him on the cheek.

"No problem, Mel."

The next day, which was the day before Nationals and Melissa had left to go on vacation in Florida and at the studio, Abby and Cooper had Maddie, Mackenzie, Nia and Chloe work on the group dance as Brooke and Paige were in the other studio room with a choreographer friend of Abby's so they could work on their duet and in there as well was Kelly, who wasn't happy over Abby bringing in the choreographer as she was working with Maddie on her solo.

"Why is there two dance teachers in the main studio that know what my kids can do working with Maddie?" Kelly asked the choreographer. "This is why Maddie wins and my kids lose. Mine'll learn their dances in 15 minutes from a choreographer who doesn't know which leg to kick on."

"Do you want me to say something to her?" The choreographer asked.

Back in the main studio room, the Millers and Gianna could hear Kelly complaining.

"Here we go again." Abby mumbled.

"Mom, if it helps, i can help the choreographer with Brooke and Paige if that's all right with you." Cooper suggested. "Maybe that'll calm Kelly down."

"Sounds like a great idea!"

Cooper got up and headed into the studio room where the choreographer, Brooke, Paige and Kelly were.

"If it's all right with you, maybe i can help with the dance." Cooper offered.

"Thank goodness for you, Coop." Kelly stated.

"I don't have a problem with that." The choreographer told him.

"Neither do we." Brooke and Paige simultaneously added as Brooke smirked at him.

Cooper began to help the choreographer with the dance as Brooke and Paige were focused and the rehearsal lasted for 45 minutes and when everybody was done, they headed back to the hotel as Nationals was tomorrow.