August Thirtieth

part ONE

—————

"I have to tell them, Ravi."

Her voice was quivering, because Pip? She was sobbing. Her back was hunched, and she wished more than anything that she could die. She should've let herself die.

"You can't,"

His voice was quivering too. He was sobbing, too. Watching her from across the room as she sat on his bed with her head in her hands.

"Please don't,"

He begged her, though he didn't near her. He wasn't sure if he could handle it. Not in this moment, where they were both ruined and messy.

"I can't lose you, too."

Five words that broke Pip, every time she uttered them.

"I can't go on like this, Ravi. I can't let an —"

"I know what you're about to say, so don't you fucking dare. Max Hastings is not an innocent man, Pippa —" Ouch. "And you will not be taking his place in a cell."

"But he didn't murder anybody." She breathed, voice muffled against her palm.

"N—" Ravi sucked in a sharp breath. "Neither did you. You... it wasn't you." He shook his head as if he still didn't believe it was true.

As if he hadn't helped clean up her mess.

For the first time that evening, she looked up at him with those red, puffy eyes of hers, the rings of willowy, ivy, emerald, Brunswick green hiding behind her tears.

"I have to." She decided, standing with shaking legs and closing the distance between she and Ravi.

He shook his head, quietly begging her not to. She couldn't look at him, in those golden-brown eyes of his, eternally more gorgeous than hers.

"I love you forever," she whispered, finally looking up at him, pressing their foreheads together. "Too the moon and to Saturn — on your good days and your bad days. We'll always be a —" she hiccuped through her tears, crying against him. "A team."

"Team Ravi and Pip," he breathed, his voice barely more than a whisper.

"You're my world." She told him quietly, and he held the small of her back, pressing a kiss to her lips.

The final to a short lived series of kisses, passionate or short, all perfect.

"You're my Sarge." He reminded her as she began to walk away, not daring to look back, even as he gripped her hand.

"Always."

And with that, she walked into the darkness. Metaphorically, of course, because the lights downstairs were on, burning into the back of Pip's eyes — something she was glad about.

She had to remember this. All of it. Each crack in his walls, every creak in his floorboards.

This wasn't something she would see again. She wouldn't live this life again.

As she opened his front door, she finally did step into the darkness. The stars and the moon stayed by her side the entire time, wrapping her in a blanket of safety.

The moon and stars had always been there for her. They had witnessed everything.

She didn't give herself time to cry in the car. She had quite a bit to do tonight, in all truth.

Many places to be, many loving faces that wouldn't be so loving after tonight.

At least she knew Ravi's may stay the same. Because he was there with her through everything — even this. He was somewhere in the back of her mind. In the dark, clearing out useless facts to make room for the memories and the love. To make room to remember her last moments with her dearest friends and, oh god, her parents.