Recipe For A Mess

"You have flour all over your face. How do you have flour all over your face?"

"The baby did it," Pip insisted, wiping a flour-covered hand on her flour-covered jeans.

"What baby?" Ravi asked, brows furrowed.

She shrugged. "The imaginary baby? The ghost baby from Amanda's apartment?"

"Are you pregnant?" She shook her head with a laugh. "Did you take your meds?" She nodded her head with another laugh. "Okay, then what are you going on about?"

"I don't know! I felt like messing with you," she told him, stepping nearer and looking up at him.

"Pip," he warned.

"Ravi..." She said, giving him the eyes.

"Pippa..." He hissed again, inching away from her as she inched closer.

And just as he was cornered against the counter, she threw a handful of flour in his face, crumbling to the floor with a choked laugh.

"Oh my god! You totally - oh my god," She cackled, falling onto her back. "You fell for that!"

She caught her breath and Ravi helped her stand as she smiled up at him, the mood settling softly.

"I love you," he told her.

"I love you," she told him, tilting her head to press a kiss to his flour-coated chin.

"Okay, but seriously, we need to finish this cake. Josh's birthday won't wait for us," He said, his eyes darkening in the way that they did, telling Pip he was serious as ever.

She smiled at him, something fizzing softly in her chest as she stationed herself back in front of the mixer.

"Um, what's next?" She asked aloud, mostly to herself as she scrolled on her phone. "Sugar," she said, turning to grab the sugar, only of course, Ravi had already grabbed it for her.

He held it above her head and pulled her against him, hand on the small of her back. His lips met hers, and they stayed like that for a moment before they pulled apart and Ravi handed her the sugar.

"Thank you," she said softly, turning back to the mixer as she measured the sugar and poured it in.

"Out of the way, Singh," she joked, pushing him with her hip as she searched their pantry for the cocoa powder.

"Top shelf, Sarge." He reminded her upon hearing her groan, resting against the counter with crossed arms.

"Thank youuu," She sang, standing on her tip-toes to reach it. "Don't try to help me."

She knew he was going to try; he always had. It was his job to protect, his job to help, his job to hold.

His job to be her good thing, his job to be her constant, his job to help her study for early morning tests.

She stumbled back to her baking station and measured the cocoa powder, pouring that in with the other two things.

There was some sort of routine for the next few ingredients; baking powder, baking soda, salt and -

"Is it a good idea to give a bunch of twelve year olds cake with literal caffeine in it?" Ravi asked, reading the recipe.

"Well -"

"Okay, you're the wrong person to ask, actually. Move it, Trouble." He smiled down at her, kissing her forehead and shifting to move her out of the way, taking control.

He pushed the espresso powder away, telling Pip there was no way she could have coffee this late.

"It's only six-thirty."