Chapter 21: Making Confession

He dropped to his knees in the middle of the sidewalk. He could barely breathe even though he needed the air to let the sob lodged in his throat out. It was too much. Everything had fallen apart so fast. Arthit couldn't hold the shattered pieces together any longer.

He didn't care who saw him or what they thought of him.
He just sat on the ground in the middle of the street and cried.

Kongpob was the centre of his world. Arthit couldn't live without him. That was a decision. 

Not the one Kongpob wanted an answer to but something Arthit was sure of. For that to work, for him to get back the man he loved, he had to find the gear. Everything could turn to dust for all Arthit cared but he would not lose Kongpob's heart.

Frantically searching for the gear, he dared to believe something salvageable still existed between them. But his hope faded the longer he went without finding what he was looking for. He dared not stop. He dared not give up. Retracing his steps, he walked back to his room with his eyes trained on the ground. Dejected by the empty path and empty elevator and empty hallway.

He was out of places to search. Arthit was about to head back out and retrace his steps again when he looked down and to the left. Outside his room on the floor, tucked against the skirting board was the brass disc on a leather cord.

Arthit didn't care that he was reaching. It was a sign. If he had the gear, things with Kongpob couldn't be over. He knew what he wanted. Perhaps he didn't have all the answers. He didn't know what he would do to convince Kongpob but he was determined to speak to him and figure things out like they'd agreed; together.

He woke up with new resolve and dressed quickly in the hope of catching his mate before he left for work. He didn't have to knock on the door, it was already open. A lady was cleaning the now empty room, returning it to its generic blankness. No evidence of his mate or his things remained.

Kongpob was gone.

Panic. It was not an emotion Arthit was accustomed to but for a moment, he saw red and couldn't think of anything beyond "something must have happened to Kongpob". Then he remembered who his mate was. Nothing—well, almost nothing—could shake him. Not even the full moon.

Arriving at work on time, he remembered the announcement of the interns' last week on the Ocean Electric group chat. He'd dismissed it in his preoccupation with his own misery.

Kongpob had probably moved back home or on campus now that his internship was coming to an end. He still had time to find him. They would talk and everything would be fine.

Except Kongpob wasn't there. His internship was essentially over. He would have to write a report on his experience but he wasn't required to come to Ocean Electric unless he wanted to. His mate had obviously chosen not to.

"Do you know when the farewell party for the interns will be?" Arthit asked P'Som-O trying to sound casual.

"P'Cherry is organizing it. You can ask her but I think there will be an announcement soon."

"Why don't you ask N'Kong, he should know," P'Earth said.

Arthit couldn't resist rolling his eyes at her. She'd started making little digs at him about Kongpob. She knew something was up but Arthit refused to give her the satisfaction of telling her he'd messed up. It was very likely she'd picked up on his mood or spoken to Kongpob. It's not like his mate had a problem talking to everyone except him.

Unable to come up with an answer, he just nodded and went back to work. He still checked the group chat for updates until he was rewarded with a colourful banner and the group invitation to the party the following Friday. A week wasn't that long to wait, right?