Chapter 15: What Are You Hiding?

They had taken a break from the activities to enjoy the gifts they'd received from their secret draw picks. Arthit didn't know who gave him a jar of chilli chutney but they knew him well enough. He was more interested in P'Earth and Todd. He tried not to stare but whatever was going on between them seemed a lot more interesting than waiting for lunchtime so he could try his gift, especially because he couldn't hear what they were saying.

"Why are you minding their business?" Kongpob asked, sitting beside him.

"Because I have to work with them every day. I don't want to be caught off guard if they decide they hate each other or something."

"P'Earth is an alpha, P'Todd is a beta. Even under the best of circumstances. that is not a good match. She is human. He is Wolf."

"Does that make a difference?"

"A lot. An alpha wolf with a beta wolf works because they each take on their prescribed roles well. Alpha wolf and alpha human, again, they each have their roles. It's probably not relevant but humans have been with other humans—Alpha or otherwise with no help from anyone. But when the hierarchy dictates one thing—because it is decided by Wolves, not humans—and a couple another, it cannot end well unless they are far stronger than the call of their nature."

"Like you?"

"You think I'm strong? No. I am not strong. I just do the best I can." Alpha Piroj is strong.

My boss?

Kongpob pointed to where he was making the rounds, talking to people with ease. It takes a special kind of Wolf to allow others a place in their territory, especially when their loyalties are unclear.

"There are other wolves at Ocean Electric?" Arthit asked in a loud whisper that was even more suspicious than speaking normally. He looked around trying to figure out who was what but he couldn't tell, not the way he had with Todd.

So many. There are also more alpha humans than I've seen in one place before. Kongpob confirmed.

Why is that a big deal?

Because he doesn't have to exert power over anyone. Kongpob said, bumping his shoulder into Arthit's playfully. It's like a hug. He opens his arms and it's up to them to step in and let him enfold them. It doesn't work if it's forced.

You do that.

No. I'm...afraid. Of more things than I care to admit.

"I'm afraid of the ocean," Arthit admitted.

"What? I didn't know that."

"It could have ended us before we even had a chance to begin."

"I don't think you have to worry about the ocean. You had your eye on me the entire time. The ocean didn't stand a chance when you decided I was important enough to save."

Don't start with that.

Don't ever stop.

Kongpob left him to his spying (that's what he called it) and went in search of Nai. They had to fill out a few forms on their experience for P'Durian. He thought it best to get it out of the way while everyone else was relaxing. Arthit waved him off without taking his eyes off P'Earth and took a sip of the drink Kongpob had surreptitiously put in his hand.

He didn't see Kongpob again until he was walking on the beach after dinner. He didn't hear him until he was upon him then it was too late to dodge his sneak attack.

"Are you stalking me like prey?"

I could eat you up if you wanted.

The strangled sound Arthit let out embarrassed him for just long enough to notice Kongpob's eyes were pale and pretty in the early evening light.