Chapter 1: Not Just a Job

"You're going to be late if you don't wake up," Kongpob whispered in his ear.

His breath tickled. Arthit covered himself in an attempt to hold on to the last tendrils of sleep. Kongpob did it again. This time, Arthit cracked an eye open and looked at the clock hoping he could negotiate for five more minutes. That thought disappeared the moment he saw the time.

"You should have woken me up earlier. Now I'm going to be late!" he shouted and dashed to the bathroom only to return and grab the towel Kongpob held for him.

It was Kongpob's fault for being an easy target. He could deal with anything Arthit threw at him—at least in a physical sense. That was one of the many advantages of being a werewolf. At least that's what he called it. Kongpob just called it being a Wolf. He was a shifter and part of a pack of werewolves with the same hierarchies that kept their wild counterparts in check.

Kongpob was the presumptive alpha of the Siam Pack.

It wasn't as glamorous as it sounded. He had so much more responsibility for someone his age. But it was all practice for when he took over from his father and became The Alpha. It was the way of their world and no matter how much Kongpob rebelled against it, he was still on track for everything expected of him.

It wasn't quite the same for Arthit. He'd always known he would mate with a werewolf. After all, he was an alpha human. He'd been brought up with the knowledge that one day he would meet someone from this other group and he would have to take the necessary steps to be a part of that world. It hadn't made much sense to him growing up, but the pieces fell into place when he met Kongpob.

Or rather, Kongpob had tried to convince him; he'd resisted him for far longer than was reasonable, only to relent with such intensity that his previous reserve was almost laughable. What they hadn't anticipated was their bond going from a deep, unyielding desire for each other to a connection so profound they could hear each other's thoughts. At least some of the time.

For the last two years, their bond had only grown stronger. Arthit sometimes heard Kongpob's wolf directly. His understanding of the difference between man and animal grew the more he interacted with them. Learning how Kongpob thought and how it was affected by his nature was both fascinating and frightening.

Kongpob's wolf was far less reasonable than the man.

He wondered what it could have been like if Kongpob hadn't chosen a human school. What if his family had refused to let him study at SFU? They couldn't deny what they meant to each other. They were mates. Something that meant boyfriends, lovers, and partners all rolled into one.

Their relationship was easy while they were both students. But Arthit was getting ready for his first day of work. He and Kongpob would no longer be in the same space. He would no longer be easy to reach and talk to on a whim. Arthit longed for the distance even if he would never admit it. He needed to find his footing as a human rather than as an extension of Kongpob, his wolf and all his responsibilities.

A fresh start in a new place felt like a chance to be himself. Arthit didn't dare tell Kongpob that. He'd become increasingly possessive to the point where Arthit had to ask him to ease up. He'd received one clear answer from Kongpob's wolf: No!

Arthit understood it. He felt the same disquiet. The same fear that being away from Kongpob would change things between them. He didn't want to leave his mate. But it didn't feel like a choice. Arthit had to take matters into his own hands and do whatever he needed to get and keep a job in the real world.

Kongpob had capitulated by refusing to let him spend his last night of freedom alone.

Arthit was not surprised when Kongpob helped him get ready for work. His clothes were ironed and hung up for him. He'd made breakfast and served them both. Arthit was ready in half the time it would have taken him on his own. Effectively making Kongpob's scare, that he'd be late for work, irrelevant. He was on his way out when Kongpob stopped him to straighten his tie.

Arthit was momentarily taken aback. He didn't expect Kongpob's rather unsubtle attempt to scent-mark him. Any wolf would be able to recognize him before he even spoke. That was not the path to individuality.

"Don't do that."

The low growl was the only answer he got from Kongpob. His wolf's reticence jarred Arthit's nerves. It wasn't unusual. When Kongpob was too overwhelmed or his wolf came out, his inner voice—the psychic connection they shared—sometimes went silent. That was probably the case here and Arthit knew better than to push.

"Have a good day. And don't give the freshmen a hard time Mr. Head Hazer," Arthit said in an attempt to change the subject.

"Have a good day yourself. Don't forget to call me if something comes up or if it doesn't."

Arthit knew Kongpob would do well in his new role. It wasn't just because he was an alpha—born to lead. He was a naturally caring person (even though he occasionally denied it) and people responded to that. He was the nervous one. But his nerves settled somewhat when Kongpob gave him a quick peck and walked him out of his new apartment.

Arthit reported to Ocean Electric's HR department at exactly 8:30. He wasn't due to start work until 9 a.m. but he'd been told to come in early and get his orientation packet. He didn't know what it was for until P'Durian, the HR manager, informed him that he was being moved to the procurement department.

"But I thought..." he started only for P'Durian to wave him off.

"There are no vacancies in the production department but you have remarkable skills. Instead of letting you go, we thought it was better to offer you the available position. You will be the first person we consider if there is ever a vacancy in production. Unless you would prefer to leave and reapply when an opportunity arises?"

P'Durian was the epitome of reasonableness. Arthit couldn't fault her for making her life easier even though it made his life increasingly complicated. Taking the introductory packet, he thanked her and made his way to the new department.

Working for Ocean Electric had been the culmination of months of sending out applications, showing up for interviews and learning to accept rejection. The only thing worse than the rejection had been the times when the response had nothing to do with him and everything to do with Kongpob.

Two interviews stood out.

Arthit had been unaware that both companies were owned and run by wolf packs. His interviewers had scented Kongpob on him easily. The first HR manager had become so aggressive, that he had to be restrained while Arthit made a quick exit. The second one had been ready to give him whatever job he wanted without looking at his application.

The disparity in their responses had scared Arthit enough to ensure he took a thorough shower before every interview. But he didn't like that he was treated differently for something he had no control over. It was pure luck that his interviewer at Ocean Electric wasn't a wolf. Even though he was surprised to find out the company owner was.

A wolf without a pack.
The idea of a lone wolf intrigued Arthit.

Arthit was still determined to celebrate his first day at work by doing the best he could. It would have gone over much better if his introduction to Khun Danai and the rest of the procurement team had been a lot less dramatic—although he couldn't take all the credit for that. If his welcome was less than enthusiastic, he didn't blame them. He had no desire to be there either.

Desk assignments put him next to the wall (he couldn't have requested a better spot) and P'Earth. She didn't seem to have time for Arthit so he was relieved when his other senior P'John showed up. He talked himself up, but without a reference point, he had to take his word for it. First day and his life in the Procurement Department as already more than he'd bargained for.

"Can you take this to Khun Paga in accounting?" P'Earth asked him at some point in the day.

She'd already put him in a spot with the fax machine. Arthit wasn't sure what her deal was but he followed her instructions. It was very different from his life as a student. Lecturers and professors assumed you were an idiot until they had imparted their knowledge. At Ocean Electric, everyone expected him to know everything and resented him when they had to teach him.

It didn't feel like he was living the life he wanted. It felt like Fight Club. Was it worth it not to have his status as a wolf's mate? Should he have taken the offer to work for his mate's father? Had he traded one kind of inhouse politics for another? Arthit couldn't change his reality. The present was as fixed as his place in Kongpob's life. He was more concerned about what would happen in the future.