Chapter 12: A Matter of Taste

The new hazers looked so young. Arthit wondered if he had ever looked like that. The memory of his first year flashed before his eyes and he remembered, with some embarrassment, that he'd been even greener than them. Wet behind the ears and more than willing to do whatever was asked of him, he'd made a fool of himself more than he cared to remember.

Kongpob was a very different hazer than he or P'Tum or even P'Deer had been.

Kongpob didn't shout, but his voice carried. He was more likely to shake his head in disappointment than yell at them to get it right. But he gave instruction in the same clear, concise manner in which he did everything else. It was so effective, the first-year hazers preferred the angry bellows of the other hazers than face Kongpob's quiet displeasure.

Arthit felt the wave of lust before he recognized it. The desire to push Kongpob's buttons and topple his control hit him first before the breathtaking need. Thoughts of pushing him against one of the building walls crossed his mind in vivid pictures and colours.

Stop thinking dirty thoughts if you don't want these juniors to get the fright of their life.

I wasn't...

"Hey Arm, why don't you take over?" Kongpob said out of the blue earning a confused glare from his friend before he did as Kongpob asked. Before anyone could act, he was already striding in Arthit's direction. Do you want to pin me against a wall, or should I?

"I wasn't..."

"You said that already." Hello, my beloved.

Kongpob smiled and his eyes lightened and although Arthit had heard it a thousand times, he still felt the power of the endearment down to his bones. He loved this man and it was no use pretending he didn't. That same acknowledgement came with a paralysing fear that he wasn't up for the task. That he would let his mate down when it mattered most. There had to be a way to find a balance.

Hello. He finally answered, leaning in when Kongpob was close. His body sought what his mind had already fashioned.

"Uhm...excuse me?"

Arthit felt the moment slip from him as a young woman interrupted them. He recognized her from their time at the beach but couldn't remember her name.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?" She asked Kongpob.

He looked over her head at Arthit. Is it okay?

Sure. "I should...I'll get some snacks for you and your team."

Kongpob's soft laughter followed his hurried exit. He smiled at the sound, regaining some of his good mood but it didn't last. At the food stall, two freshers stepped in behind him. It didn't take him long to put their conversation into context. Kaofang, the young woman who'd interrupted them, had a crush on Kongpob and had confessed to him during the gear-giving ceremony. Kongpob hadn't mentioned it.

"To think he didn't even hesitate to turn her down."

That was good news.

"And tell her he already had a faen. Have you ever seen him with someone?"

"I heard someone say they were in last year's graduating class."

"Someone older than him?" One of the girls said in a scandalized whisper.

That information seemed to surprise them more than the fact that Kongpob had turned their friend down. Arthit wondered what they would think if he told them he was the one in question. Pushing down the temptation he collected his order and hoped he didn't run into the girls again.