Amends

Nickels pov

I wake up being shaken by someone, and I open my eyes to see balloon. 

"Wake up man, we're gonna miss breakfast again" he says quitely.

"Huh..?" I say drowsily.

"Wake up" he says normally, except he says it right in my ear. 

"WHA- OW, HEYY" I say, as I sit up startled.

"Shouldn't be so sleepy then" he replies, giggling.

"Says you, you fall asleep when rays of sun fall on you" I snap back.

"How do you know that?"

"Oh-uh, nevermind"

Balloon raises his eyebrow but thankfully doesn't question it.

We both go downstairs and sit down at the table, waiting for breakfast to be served. Eventually everyone sits down and oj comes with the plates. Today's breakfast was french toast. 

"More sweet breakfast? I mean, I'm not complaining" Cherries say.

The toppings were whipped cream, maple syrup, and strawberry jam. Apart from OJ and Paper, only two other people knew where the strawberries came from.

"Hey, I bet they made that from the strawberries we picked yesterday" I whisper to balloon.

"Duh, why are you betting, they obviously did" balloon whispers back.

"Attitude much," I say back, smiling.

When oj and paper sit down, oj clears his throat, and the table goes silent. 

"I've got an announcement to make-" OJ says

"Could you not just text us?" Trophy interrupts.

"No trophy, because this one is regarding breakfast."

"MMM." Cheesy says loudly.

"IT'S GOT TO DO WITH HOW THIS JAM IS ABSOLUTELY BERRY DELICIOUS, RIGHT?" He continues, a signature knee slap following his joke.

Everyone groans from second hand embarrassment, and I gotta admit, that joke was the opposite of funny. But everyone perks up again as oj starts speaking.

"Actually, it does. Thanks cheesy."

Almost immediately 4-5 people took the jam and tried it, and every single one of them reacted surprised and pleased. 

"This jam, it's-it's.." Fan stutters, thinking of the right word.

"Amazing, right?" Paper finishes for him.

"Nah, way better than amazing" pickle says.

"What's the secret?" Test tube asks.

"Well, it's a homemade recipe, but that's not why it's so good," OJ says. "I couldn't have made it this delicious without them." he looks our way and points straight at us. Right after he does that, the entire table says "huh?" all at the same time. Murmers and whispers spread throughout everyone. But they didn't sound negative. 

"How come?" Paintbrush asks, with genuine curiosity. 

"Well, balloon and nickel both handpicked these strawberries for us, and these strawberries were the best ones I've ever tasted. I have no idea where they found them or what they did to get the beautiful flavour, but I'm glad they shared them with us all." OJ explains.

Balloon looks down shyly at the praise. But I say,

"You guys better be thankful, we basically brought these to your plate."