Communication

I love the wind. The gentleness of a zephyr compared to the passionate tide of a hurricane. So much range, yet narrowed into one singular attribute.

But locked in my house, I was unable to experience any of it.

"I think you and I both know what needs to happen in order for you to feel fulfilled." I stared up at Dr. Chigiri as she kindly closed our session. "Talk to your mother. Communicate. Just what the letter told you to do."

I sighed. "I know, I know. I will. Thank you."

The woman smiled at me, adding wrinkles to her incredibly youthful face. "How's the at-home practice doing?"

"It's going well. I'm able to sleep at night," I nodded. She was talking about all the exercises she sent me home with to work through my...sexual trauma. The further and further away that night got, the less and less I thought about it. The only times I brought it up, really, was in Dr. Chigiri's office. And I'll spare the gory details.

See, the thing about therapy is that you always want your therapist to think you're doing well. That's one thing I've learned. Especially with Dr. Chigiri. I mean, she's so insistent about me befriending her son, I would almost feel sorry for her if I showed no signs of progress. But something about that woman was so strange, as if she could see straight through me. If I fibbed even a little bit to make myself sound better, she'd call me on it.

And that's the thing that's helped me the most.

Acknowledging my feelings. Being called out. Sae at the cafe. Vi with my needing therapy. My mother at home.

Why couldn't everyone just tell me how to feel all the time? It would be so much easier that way.

"That's good," Dr. Chigiri nodded enthusiastically. "I can tell in the couple months we've been meeting that you've really improved quite a bit. I'd like to keep on this positive track."

"Thank you," I smiled. "It feels strange...yknow? I feel like I'm supposed to be much more traumatized than I am right now."

"That's normal," the woman replied. "This is the sad, sad truth. Most girls your age go through a sexual assault case. And most don't attend therapy. They just live with what has been done to them, shutting away their feelings. But I'm grateful that you're willing to work on yourself, not only through your trauma, but also as a person in general."

"Yep, I'm definitely amazing," I said stupidly.

Dr. Chigiri's typically youthful face suddenly crinkled into a frown. "Now, what is it that you're hiding from me this time?"

I scoffed and tried to look offended, but there really was no hiding anything from this woman. "I have a friend who...can't go to therapy. I want to help, but I really don't know how."

"What does 'can't go to therapy' mean?"

I bit my lip nervously. "I can't tell you."

Dr. Chigiri sighed. "Honestly, just be there for them. Not at your own expense, of course, or else we'll have a whole new topic to discuss. We've covered your ex, your family, your financial burden, and your assault. Now, lucky is, you'll have friend issues in the mix as well."

I laughed. "He's no burden. I just want to be there for him."

"And I'm sure that means the world to whoever this boy is."

I stared up at the woman. She had flowing red hair that she flipped over her shoulder. She was tall and her looks were eternally gorgeous. Still, there was a sharp glance in here eye, as if she were in the middle of deciphering a difficult riddle. What on earth could she be thinking of? I had no clue. Still, the woman shrugged and moved on.

"I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today," she concluded. "Remember what I said. Communicate. Talk to your family. Communication is always the first step."

"I nodded in agreement. "Thank you. For everything."

"Anytime, dear."

I hopped out of my chair and headed out the door. For what felt like the first time in forever, I reached into my pocket and dialed a very specific number.

"Hey, it's me. You doing alright?"

Because if there was anyone who knew how to fix a problem, it would be her."

***

Family dinners were always something if looked forward to. Laughter around the table, stories from each and every family member. It was something incredibly valuable in my family that I knew many other families didn't appreciate. But tonight, however, I was absolutely dreading.

Rusei was pleasant, as always. Today he had carved a smiley face into his mashed potatoes and was using a chicken bone as a mustache. My father laughed along gleefully, but could still sense the tension between my mother and I.

Neither of us spoke a word:

So much for communication, I groaned internally. Sorry Dr. Chigiri. And Dad, too.

"You know, I got the most interesting phone call today," my mother said suddenly," from a local soccer reporter."

That phrase alone sent jitters down my spine.

"Oh yeah? And what did they want, honey?" my father asked politely.

"To have a word with our daughter. About her new boyfriend." My mother glared at me from across the table, and it took every scrap of willpower to not return her aggressive gaze.

"Is that so?" I said. "I don't think I would have all that much to say."

"The reporter claimed very different."

Count to ten. Count to ten. Count to ten. CALM DOWN.

I took a breath.

"Mom, can we talk about this after dinner?" I asked. "I'd like to decline his request, but maybe this conversation can wait until we're finished eating and have more time to talk."

Expecting a fight, my mother stiffened at my request. She nodded abruptly, but said nothing. My dad shot me a confused look, clearly expecting the same fight as my mother. Rusei just carried on rubbing chicken grease on his face.

In my pocket, I felt my phone buzz. I pulled it out and smiled once I saw the name.

already On My Way!