Moonlight

As we strolled down the street, Sae resumed a near vow of silence. Rather, the only words he spoke were insightful questions, and he waited endlessly for my answers.

It was peaceful. Quiet. You couldn't tell Sae had just gotten into a fist fight, nor could you tell we had been in a slight stand-off earlier.

"So tell me," he began, "what made you start working in the first place? Aren't you a little young?"

"I told you, I want to be an author," I answered truthfully. "But I first started because of my brother, Rusei. He needed new school supplies and we just couldn't afford them. So, I asked some family friends to hire me."

Sae nodded. "What's Rusei like?"

"Sweet." I responded. "Positive, and just a little bit dumb."

"Oh, so it is a family gene."

"Shut up." I lightly punched him in the arm, to which he responded with flicking me in the forehead.

I laughed. "Rusei has a new obsession with soccer. He keeps talking about the Real Madrid team. Says he wants to play for them some day."

Sae raised an eyebrow, shooting me a deadpan glare. "You really don't pay attention to soccer, do you?"

"Not at all," I shook my head. "Why?"

"No reason."

Walking to my house from the cafe, you had to cross a bridge to get to the right road. However, Sae decided to take a leisurely stop on the side of the bridge, leaving me to circle around and join him.

I looked around. The sky had darkened drastically since the time we left, and the once-bright clouds had been replaced by luminescent stars and a faint moon. It wasn't a loud kind of beautiful—it was quiet, soft.

The water below us flowed at an incredibly slow pace, the trickle of the stream slowly pushing against the rocks. I saw the reflection of the sky dancing across the water and I smiled. All the stress that had been piling up in me today somehow melted. It disappeared instantly, almost carried away by a flowing breeze.

A zephyr.

I noticed Sae staring at me from the corner of my eye, but I didn't address it. He was most likely thinking that he should push me in or make fun of my hair, but for some reason I knew he wouldn't say anything. I think he appreciated the beauty of it all as much as I did, maybe even more.

"What's the book you gave me about?" he asked, breaking the silence.

"Flowers," I smiled. "Men. Romantic things. All of the above."

Sae gagged. "Of course it is. Your lukewarm taste keeps getting worse and worse."

"Hey, you're the one reading the book about men. Your tastes are clearly as unrefined as any," I teased.

"If you're calling me gay, I might as well push you into the water."

"I mean, you play soccer. How far off could I be?"

"That's it," Sae grunted, he wrapped one arm around my waist and quickly flipped me over his shoulder. He held me in a fireman's hold and walked precariously close to the edge of the water.

With a swift motion, I was dropped.

"Augh!" I gasped, sitting up in the shallow water. Without any hesitation, I grabbed Sae's ankle and pulled him in with me, earning a similar reaction from him.

"That's what you get for being an asshole, I chastised.

Sae splashed water on my face. "That's what you get for making me read fluff."

"You haven't read it yet."

"But I will. And then I'll be mad."

I smiled. "So sweet of you to take my book suggestions when my taste is just so painfully awful."

"Tsk." Sae stood up and offered me a hand. I reached out and he pulled me up easily. "Let's get you home."

What was once peace and soft questions turned into sloshing feet and constant teasing and laughter. The rest of the way home was filled with poking and arguments and insults.

This banter never existed with Ito.

"Well, here we are," I announced as we walked up my driveway. "Thank you for walking me home."

"Not a problem," Sae insisted. "I always enjoy seeing you wet and miserable."

This time, it was my turn to raise an eyebrow.

Sae's face flushed. "I didn't mean to say that-"

I grinned. "Of course you didn't. The great Sae Itoshi would never break his eternally bored character."

"Exactly," he nodded. "Well, bye then."

Sae turned to leave, but I grabbed his hand. "Wait."

"Yes?"

Sae leaned in close. I was suddenly aware of how close the two of us were. I could practically feel his breath on my face. The light hint of a blush dusted his cheeks.

"Why are you...here?" I asked softly.

Sae tilted his head. "What do you mean?"

"It feels like every time I need someone, you're around. Saving me, buying me books, rescuing me from Ito..."

"I certainly don't see why that's a bad thing, dumbass," Sae commented.

"Sae, you're super rich and famous," I started. "You have a life as a professional soccer player, yet you still choose to hang out with me. Why?"

He paused. "Do I really need a reason?"

I stared at the boy, stunned. Sae gently let go of my hand and waved a goodbye, heading down my driveway.

Why do I feel so...messy inside?

What is this feeling?

As I walked in my door, I checked my phone and immediately went to Google. The very first search was definitely different than what I was anticipating.

Sae Itoshi...Girlfriend Reveal!