• 25

My dear and lovely my mother in law fainted after seeing her son. I don't blame her, the only reason I didn't faint was because my daughter was in her room sleeping and I wanted to get to her first.

After hours of hugging him and praying over and over and over and over again we all sat in the living room.

I never thought I'd be back here so soon with these people. They all looked so ashamed, the only person that could confidently look me in the eyes was Lami but she has always been stupidly brazen.

"What happened? You've been avoiding the question" his mother says with her hands on his.

"We're glad you're here, safe and sound" Dawud shared. Baba was just seated by the side watching everything. He also had his moment but he's calm now.

"Where were you?" Mubarak asks uncomfortably.
"I can't tell you that, not right now but I do want you to know that I didn't want to be away from home for so long. It wasn't something I planned and it was out of my control, I came back the soonest I could"

"You haven't answered the question" Kasim countered sternly.

Abdullah turns and looks at him "Like I said not right now"
I smile at how annoyed his voice sounded. I mean it's not like I'm trying to pit my husband against his family but he needs to realize that they do not give a damn about him and maybe it's time he puts himself first. But Baba and Dawud are pretty cool.

His mother glares at me "Of course you're enjoying this, devil. Trying to ruin a happy family"

I just shrug. There is nothing in this world this woman would say that could get to me. I mean, the same woman who was too busy fighting for inheritance instead of grieving, nothing she says or do would surprise me.

She turns to Abdullah "You can't imagine all the things this girl said to me and your siblings"

He stands "If my wife offended any of you I apologize"
My mouth drops, he looks at me and smiles. Probably enjoying my reaction.

"But with all due respect I want you all to stay away from my family"
Now everyone joined me, jaw dropped.

"—I have done all I can for this family yet with me gone you people did nothing but terrorize my wife and try to take her daughter away from her. Not only that my brothers instead of preparing for my funeral went to raid my house. So—where are the files you took? Do you have access to those accounts you betrayed your brother for?"

"That never happened, she's lying" Lami says calmly, she looked so unbothered.

He shakes his head "Asiya didn't tell me, no matter how many times I asked. She told me to talk to you instead but somehow everyone knows how unlucky she was with in-laws. So let's try and keep out of each other's business"

Baba stands, getting everyone's attention "This is really disheartening, my children divided because of their brother's wealth, it's disappointing" he snapped before walking out. Mama rushes in.

"Asiya?"
I raise my head and look at him.
"Let's go"

He stops at the door where Dawud was standing, he looked proud "It's good to have you back"

"Thank you for being there, it makes it a lot easier knowing you weren't part of them"

"She's family, she's my sister"
"Dinner tomorrow?"

Dawud smiles before they both walk out, walking ahead.
I follow behind with a grin plastered on my face.

::

We sat in the car in silence, parked infront of our gate.
It was already dark, there hasn't been a word exchanged for the last twenty minutes but the silence felt normal, it felt needed.