Chapter 40

The sea breeze caused the thin fabric of Aviva's cover-up to flutter gently against her calves. She stared into the distance, admiring how the crystalline waters of the Balearic Sea glittered in the midday sun. Finn's strong hand held onto hers, fingers laced as the couple made their way across the powdery sand beach. It was surreal knowing this was their 'final date.' Aviva could scarcely believe how much time had passed since the first time she entered the villa. It may have seemed like nothing to the outside world, but to Aviva, it felt like she'd been locked away for centuries, cultivating this new feeling with this new person and setting her life on a different course. The next evening, they'd hear the results and potentially have to make one of the biggest, life-altering decisions ever.

Finn gave her hand a slight squeeze, directing her attention to the yacht stationed in the water a few meters away.

"Is that our ride?" Aviva gasped, slowing them down enough so she could observe it fully.

"Only the best for the best, it seems," Finn affirmed jokingly, "you think they'll let us take a swim while we're out there?"

"I hope so!" She replied animatedly, picking up her pace as they neared the boat.

Finn stumbled, kicking up the sand as he allowed himself to be pulled along, "You're not worried about something nibbling at your toes?"

"More like 'someone.' Any nibbling, I think it's safe to say it's probably from you."

Finn laughed heartily, splashing water around when his feet reached the edge of the sea, "You know me so well. I'd probably take a cheeky little bite out of something else, though." He marked his statement with a light smack on her bum.

Aviva yelped, releasing him from her grasp. She shot him a stern look before hiking up her dress to step deeper into the water; perfectly warmed in the daylight, it lapped at her legs as she made her way up to the dock and into the vessel. Finn climbed in after her, matching her excitement with a jaunty hop on the final step into the boat.

The boat captain tipped his hat in greeting. He relayed some safety tips, wishing them a good time before taking his place at the helm. The boat disembarked from the dock smoothly, and Aviva hurried to the railing, watching the shoreline dissipate until it was practically gone. Finn padded over to the nearby table decorated with fresh fruit and a bucket of chilled champagne.

"Fancy, fancy." He noted, pulling the champagne bottle from the ice. He wasted no time, uncorking the drink with that all-too-satisfying pop.

Aviva's eyes eased shut, enjoying the feel of the wind and salty sea spray brushing across her face. The sun kissed her cheeks and collarbones, sufficiently warming her from head to toe. Only then did she realize how much she'd miss being there. In a few days, it'd be back to dreary London weather, and her toasty bronze skin would soon lose its radiant shine.

"I'm going to miss this." She sighed longingly, opening her eyes to notice Finn sliding closer to her with two filled champagne flutes poised in both hands.

He handed one off to her, raising his in a toast, "Yeah, it's been pretty nice, hasn't it? I can't say that I don't miss Dublin, though."

Aviva sipped at the champagne, humming as the taste settled onto her taste buds, "How? When we have all of this." She gestured at the wide expanse of turquoise water with a wave of her arm. "I think I'd stay forever if I could."

"Really? London not doing it for you?" Finn inquired, resting his arm around her hips.

"Oh, don't get me wrong, I love London. But the sun and saltwater give me life." She answered with a shrug.

Finn tilted his head, finishing the last bits of his drink, "What about me?"

"Didn't realize we were fishing today," Aviva said, her smile strained from trying to hide it.