Chapter 22

Aviva and Alfie settled under the covers of their bed. They'd spent pretty much the entire day together, and now they were ending it together. After showing him her sketchbook, Alfie seemed more open to the idea of getting a tattoo for himself, not a silly one on his toe like last time. He was gracious, appreciative that she'd trusted him enough to show her private designs. After that, things flowed a little more smoothly, as if they'd both reached a new understanding about themselves and their relationship. Aviva was still apprehensive about taking things further, and she was coming to realize that she didn't need more time if there was nothing there to grow.

Alfie snaked his arm around her waist, drawing her back into his chest for a cuddle. "Is this okay?" He asked quietly.

Aviva nodded, pulling her legs up and shoving her hand beneath her pillow. She looked around the dimly lit room, watching the curtains billow in the breeze from the open window. Suresh blocked her view as he climbed into his bed with Arlo. He found Aviva's eyes and bit his lip. "My favorite PJs on you." He mouthed before blowing a kiss. Aviva scoffed and rolled her eyes at his antics, preparing to turn over until Arlo shot up beside him. Suresh lowered his head onto the pillow, pretending to sleep.

"Are you kidding me, Aviva?" Her voice snapped. The other islanders stirred in their beds, taking in the scene with sleepy eyes. "Alfie and Finn not doing it for you?"

Alfie rose up on his elbow. "What's happening right now?" Aviva shook her head in denial.

Arlo tossed off the comforter and stalked over to Aviva on heavy feet. "I caught her making eyes at Suresh!"

Alfie sat up fully, as did Aviva. By now, everyone was wide-awake and watching the drama unfold. "What are you talking about? I didn't! He—" Aviva started before Arlo cut in.

"What, are you like obsessed with him or something? Oh my God, you're pathetic."

Aviva's eyes darted around the room, everyone waiting for her to speak. She could see Suresh pulling the covers over his shoulder, smiling like the cat who got the cream. Something in her snapped.

"Are you out of your fucking mind?! Clearly, you don't know what breed of monster you've paired off with." Aviva began furiously, "Suresh will never be worth me or my time again."

"Don't flatter yourself." Arlo jeered.

"Your insecurities are not my problem," Aviva replied callously. "You should think about running your mouth off at him and his childish games instead of having a go at me. He's been pieing you off ever since you showed up!" Her voice was beginning to rise.

"Hey, can we, um, just dial it down a bit?" Dana requested from the other side of the room.

"Aviva...it's okay, alright? I don't care." Alfie said from his side of the bed.

Aviva jerked her head toward her partner. Did he not believe her?

"It's so dark in here I can barely see my own hands. Arlo, you're kicking off for nothing." Finn added.

Ignoring his words, Arlo stepped closer. "Stay away from him." She warned.

Aviva stood up abruptly, forcing Arlo to stumble back. "Gladly." She pushed passed the woman, taking another glimpse at Suresh's sheepish grin. She flipped her middle finger out to him and stomped to the bedroom door, throwing it open and slamming it behind her.

She was nearly at the bottom of the stairs when Alfie called out behind her. "Aviva, wait!"

Her legs refused to stop, taking her outside the building and stopping only until she reached the swimming pool. Alfie caught up to her, standing at her back, not wanting to upset her any further.