Chapter One

8 Years Later

      “Come on, Jen!” I heard Lexie say while snapping her fingers in front of my face, “We have got to get to work.  The portfolio for The Segway is due in one week and we haven’t even started!”  She was talking about the business deal we are getting with Steve’s Segway Tours.  We are going to give discounts to people who go to the segway tours.  But first we have to prove to Steve  that he wants to do this. “Ok, ok, sorry!  Just worrying about unnecessary things.” I tried to explain. “Ok. No problem, just get to work.”  She replied.

      As I start working on the portfolio, my mind starts to drift to my other problems.  My dad sent me an e-mail this past weekend saying he was so proud of me and that he wanted to visit.  I replied that he didn’t have any business visiting me and that he wasn’t welcome to my house.  It took him at least an hour to respond, but I could tell he thought well of what he said:  Why not dear daughter?  You haven’t done anything wrong, have you?   That broke me to tears, because he knew I was afraid of him.  But the question is ‘What does he want?’  Why, after all these years that he hasn’t even bothered to check on me, does he want to come see me?  Does he need money?  Ha!  He definitely isn’t getting it from me! 

      “Lex, I’m so sorry, but I can’t do this right now.” I said as I got up. I heard her say ‘Jen’, but I was already out the door.

      I decided not to get a car when I moved here since the roads are so busy.  So all the years I worked at the hotel, I really didn’t need a car, but then Lex and I moved into our house, so she got her dad to get us a Hummer limo.  I decided not to take the limo, since Lex will need it later. I need some fresh air anyway.  As I was walking, I decided to go to Cuvee, I could really use a drink.  I got to the bar and took a seat at the bar.  Gosh what does he want? There isn’t possibly anything I have that he wants except money.  And he knows damn well I’m not giving it to him.

        As I sat there at the bar, I thought about everything my life has and all my problems.  If only I had a button that got rid of all my problems.  I would pay millions for it! That would be amazing wouldn’t it?  “Give me another, please.”  I asked the bartender.  I think I’m on the sixth beer, but I don’t care, I’m already out of it. “Are you gonna’ be able to pay for these, ma’am?”  he asked.

      “I don’t know Einstein. Does it look like it?” I snapped.

      “I’m sorry, Ma’am.  Yes it does look like it.”

      “That’s what I thought.  Now give me my beer! I have too many problems, and I need a sweet release.” I said in a sigh.

      “Ok, ma’am. Here you go.” He slid me my beer and I took a big swig out of it. “Thank you,” I squinted to try and read his name tag, “Jeremy.”  and I even gave him a smile. “Your welcome…?”

       “Jen,” I said as I laughed. I reached over to shake his hand. As we shook hands, I thought about how nice he looked. He has that perfect blonde hair that sweeps across his forehead with no misplaced hair and deep blue eyes.  I guess some women could say he looked like a Casanova, and once they realized that, they probably would have ran for their life.  But I’m not here for anything at all like that, I’m here to talk.

            “Now, what are you doing here bartending while you have your model good looks?” I asked, curiously.

      He laughed, “I wouldn’t call them model good looks, but I have to work here so I can earn enough money to buy myself a new car.”

      “Oh, that’s pretty cool.  What kind are you looking for?”

      “I have my eyes set on this 1965 convertible Mustang.  Since it’s a classic, it’s expensive,” he laughed, “I mean, extremely expensive!” After that we talked for about two more hours, but with interruptions from other customers who needed their drinks.  “I had a great time talking with you tonight, Jeremy.  If you ever want to talk again, just call me.” I wrote my number down on a piece of napkin.