17. play ball

Lexie woke up for work to the sound of her alarm. Her back to April, just like April's was to her.

It wasn't pleasant. It wasn't like most mornings. This wasn't them.

They weren't exactly fighting. They weren't exactly talking either. It was really weird.

Lexie sat up in the bed, yawning as she looked over to April, who was starting to stir as well.

"Hey- I'll make breakfast.."

She whispered softly, making an offer that she usually made to her girlfriend. When she heard nothing in response, she got up anyway.

The next thing April heard was the shower starting. She sat up, stretching. She checked her phone, which was starting to ping.

It was an email from work.

To everyone involved in the softball game against Seattle Presbyterian this evening, we'll be spending some time practising for the game on the grounds this morning. Wear suitable clothing, and we hope to see you all there!

April let out a groan and smashed her head straight back into the pillow. Why did she agree to do this stupid softball game?

Lexie stepped out of the bathroom with her hair pinned back, wrapped in a towel with her phone in her hand.

"Did you get that email?-"

April still had her face buried in the pillow but nodded.

"Are you going?- Do you need a lift?"

April stood up and brushed past her to get to her side of the wardrobe.

"I'll go - I had to sort out all the admin stuff anyways.. It'd be a shame if I didn't show up.."

Lexie could definitely hear the passive aggression in April's tone, so she decided to get out of her way once she'd grabbed her clothes to change into.

Breakfast for them was pretty much the same thing every day, toast or whatever leftovers they had from the night before because between them, they had their fair share of food allergies.

They ate in silence, and Lexie poked around at her leftovers with her fork before speaking up.

"Are you still mad at me? - because I apologised profusely and made Alex apologise once, which was a miracle in itself.. I led pre-rounds for a week and a half and brought you coffee in your office every morning."

She folded her arms over her chest and gave her a look.

April looked up from her phone and pursed her lips.

"I'm not mad at you."

Lexie rolled her eyes, finishing her food and washing up both of their plates.

"You know you don't have to be chief resident at home. You can just be my girlfriend."

April didn't respond to that. In Lexie's eyes, she was definitely still mad at her.

But what better way to blow off some steam than whacking a ball around for the whole morning until she got paged.

___

When they arrived at the grounds, April saw quite a few people hanging around already. Meredith, Derek, and Zola were there. Zola was wearing a tiny version of the SGMW jersey. Adorable.

Meredith had gotten her job back after weeks of compromising with the board. Her and Derek seemed to be doing better, too.

Lexie stepped out of the car, taking Zola into her arms with a wide grin. Jackson and Alex were fighting over who would be pitching first, and it was way too early for that.