9

Abhiraj quickly wore his clothes and Meera corrected hers.

Abhiraj opened the door, only to find his youngest brother standing at their door with a tensed face,"Bhaisa, Hemant bhaisa has come to inform something important." Abhiraj was irked by the disturbance but Hemant, Sandhya's husband and Meera's brother in law is here so he had to meet him.

Abhiraj went in the hall, Meera following him.

Meera stood at the distance hiding behind a pillar waiting if she needed to bring something for them.

As Abhiraj got in, Hemant stood up from his place. Meera's mother in law and her devars were also there. What was so important at this time?

"Bhaisa", Hemant approached as soon as he saw Abhiraj coming. Hemant was clearly panicked.

Abhiraj sensed something wrong, seeing him so worried."What happened, Hemant?"

"Bhaisa, there is a news" Hemant said and took a glance at back,were Meera was standing.

" Meera bhabhisa"Hemant paused. Meera became alert hearing her name in the conversation.

"Meera Bhabhisa's father passed away this Morning ". Hemant said looking down at the floor.

As soon as the words reach Meera she stumbled back with a jerk. A loud sob echoed. Her payal made unpleasant sound as stumbled back.

And everyone turned towards her. Her hands were tightly clutching the sides of her lehenga. Her body was shivering badly.

"This...this can't.. can't be true" Her voice was slow but so painful. Her eyes full of tears which were flowing under her veil. She shaked her head denying the news. It was impossible for her to believe.

"Bhabhisa, he met with an accident while working in the farm" . Hemant described and to make her believe him.

She didn't had any energy to stand on her own, if the pillar was not there she would have been on the floor. It was like all her soul was sucked up in that moment.

She was wailing & crying. Her baba was her protector. He loved her so much & always worked for her well being.

Her mind was blank. She couldn't think anything other than her baba. His Memories , His care.

Abhiraj was feeling bad for her. Parents are very dear to everyone. And he knew very well how it feels to lose your loved ones.

" Hame baba ke pass jana hai.Hamare baba." She was murmuring while crying her heart out. She was looking like a child who got separated from her parents & lost in the unknown crowd.

Sadly, she didn't have anyone to console her.

She looked up like she came out of some trance. She came near them," Hame baba ke pass le chalia". She said to Abhiraj, pleading him.

Abhiraj was about to replied, when his Mother interrupted , "Bindni its not even two months to your marriage, you can't go to the place of death for one year. It's inauspicious for your marriage and both of you."

"But, he is my father" Meera replied crying. First time she answered back to her Mother in law but it was needed.

"Bindni, I can understand your pain. But this is the tradition and I can't go against it."

"Ham aapko haath Jodte hai Maasa. Hame Jane dijiye". Meera joined her hands in front of her mother in law. She was almost begging.

Her mother in law's eyes softened at her condition. Her kept her hand on Meera's head," Bindni, you cant go there. I and your Babasa will go for the last ritual..hmm"

---
Meera lied on her side of the bed. She was looking out of the window as she sobbed silently. It was already midnight but sleep was far away for her eyes.

She chest heaving up and down as remembered her father. She couldn't see her father for last time.

She couldn't be with her mother and siblings, when they needed her beside them.

Whenever she closed her eyes, he father image was coming in her front.

She didn't changed neither had any appetite to have food.

The only thought of her father's dismiss was making her heart hallow. Her eyes dried from the excess crying.

Abhiraj was observing her from quite some time and couldn't sleep watching her like that. She was restless

Her back was facing him. He kept his hand on her but she wasn't in senses to bother.

He lied just behind her and pulled her closer. Now she knew he was behind her.

He turned her, so she was lying on her back now.

Her tears marks were visible in the moonlight coming from the window. Her eyes were all red and puffy and mostly lifeless.

He was staring her intently but they were not dangerous like always. she couldn't meet his gaze. Her lips have dried up.

He placed his big palm on her cheeks. Surprisingly it's was warm.

He freed her head from the veil which was till her head.

He tuck out the pallu from her waist and removed the other end from her shoulder.

He saw the movement of her chest as she sobbed silently.

He pulled her hair pin and let her long traces free.

His hands went behind her neck, he took out the simple neckpiece she was wearing and then her earing.

Meera was going hell nervous about what he was doing. She wasn't in a state to have sex with him.

But alas she couldn't protest.

He kissed on the top of her head.. His lips lingered there for few seconds.

He wiped the tears off her eyes which were falling on her cheeks but it was generating again.

He pulled her close that her head was now lying on his arms.

His fingers moved up and down on her back in a soothing way.

His touch was so different from all those other nights they have spend together. It was soothing and relaxing, peaceful.

" chup ho ja, Tera babasa ko acha na lagega ki unki beti unke wajah se ro rahi hai" He said in his husky voice and caressed her hair.

He pushed her head in his chest, holding her tightly in his arms. Meera was astonished at his behavior but so engulfed by her grief.

" sambhal aapne aap ko, tere babasa na hai par unka aashirvad hamesha tere saath rahega". He said near her ears.

Abhiraj's words gave Meera an unknown strength. For the first time, she felt like she is not a stranger in this house. She has someone for her. Her own life partner

Meera didnt know when she fall asleep in arms of Abhiraj.