The Trip

"So, you wanna explain to me how this all happened?" I ask JJ throwing off the ugly Kitty Hawk sweatshirt and t-shirt. "A few minutes after you left, Kie showed up at the airstrip," He explains. "She said her parents weren't home and she left a super detailed note for them," He tells me. "When we asked her where you were, she said she didn't know," He says. "We assumed you'd go to her house, find out she was gone, and come back," He tells me.

"But your hour passed and you still weren't back," He explains. "John B said that there wasn't time, and they we had to leave, but I refused to leave you," He tells me. "I took Pope's bike to Kie's house and found the Twinkie there, and that's when I knew something was up," He says. "I knocked on the door and found Kie's parents. I asked them if they had seen you, and when they asked why I told them you had been looking for Kie. That's when they told me where "Kie" was. I figured it out pretty quickly," He tells me, looking very proud of himself.

"I'm glad," I whisper, kissing him. "But why didn't you just tell Kie's parents what happened so they could get me out?" I ask. He shakes his head. "It was too risky. I didn't want them to figure out where Kie actually was or send her there when they figured it out," He says. "JJ!" Mike shouts from the front. "So are you gonna explain about him, too?" I ask, still in shock. "Later," He promises, kissing me before walking to the front of the plane. I smile after him, still shaking my head.

~~~~~~

"We're gonna be landing a couple hours out of Tres Rocas, at a farm," JJ says, pointing along the map in front of us. Morning light streams through the windows of the plane. "It's right here," He says, pointing. "A couple of hours?" I ask. JJ sighs. "Yeah, but Barracuda Mike says there's a bus into town we should be able to catch, so...," JJ says. "J... what if they're not there?" I whisper.

"If they're not there...," He stops, thinking. "Free vacation," He says, grinning at me. "We're on an adventure baby, come on now!" He says. I laugh. "I love you," I sigh, leaning into his chest. I can feel him smiling against my hair. "When we get back, we're gonna plan a wedding," He promises, kissing my head. "Yeah?" I smile, closing my eyes to imagine it. "We can do it wherever you want. We'll do it on the beach, or at the church, or the Château, even if there's nothing left," He says. "I bet we can even do it at the Island Club once we get that gold," He whispers.

"We can all pitch in. You can pick out the flowers and the lighting and cake and the foods," He says. "John B will be my best man, and Pope, and the girls can be yours," He says. I sigh happily. "Everything will be perfect," He says. "And the best part...," He says. "The honeymoon?" I guess. I feel him shake his head. "When I get to kiss you in front of everyone?" I ask. He shakes his head again. "Being married to you and getting to be with you forever?" I guess again. Another shake. "The after party?" I ask with a wide grin. He shakes his head. "I don't know, tell me," I plead. "You're dad gets to walk you down the isle," He whispers.

I'm silent for a few moments as I picture it. After my dad went missing, I always thought he would never be able to walk me down the isle. I always pictured walking alone on my wedding day, with John B or even JJ walking me down the isle. I never imagined that he would get to do it, and that I'd be marrying JJ. A tear rolls down my cheek. "Although that honeymoon idea sound pretty good too," JJ whispers. I laugh loudly. "I love you," He says.

~~~~~~

"Damn. Barracuda Mike's got this import-export thing down," JJ says as we get off the plane, watching his men unload and reload the hangar. I nod. "Oh, wait. Yo! Barracuda, is that our executive coach to Tres Rocas right-there?" JJ asks, pointing to a bus a few yards away, currently being loaded with passengers. "It is, smart-ass," He grumbles. "Hey," He says. JJ turns to him. "We have a deal, remember? You still owe me for the lost load," He says. I give JJ a look, finally understanding. He made a deal with Barracuda Mike. Another one. 

"I remember, alright?" JJ nods, taking my hand. "Hey, JJ!" Mike calls as we walk away. "What?" JJ asks, not looking over his shoulder. "Word of advice," He calls. "What?" JJ asks again, he looks over his shoulder this time but doesn't stop walking. "This ain't Kildare," Mike says. "Try and lay low," He calls. "Sure thing, chief," JJ nods. 

~~~~~~

"So right here you have, Tesoro. Up here, Orinoco, right? And they say up here, El Dorado," The man on the bus explains to JJ and I, drawing us a map with lines and x's in the dusty seat back. "Wait," JJ says. "Who says?" I ask. The man shrugs. "All the world," He says. "If all the world says it, why hasn't it been found?" I ask. He shrugs. "Some people say it doesn't exist. Some people say it's hidden, and only one very special person can find it," He says as the bus rocks us around. "Uh-huh," JJ nods. "But most people say it's maldito," He shrugs again.

I shake my head. "Maldito?" I ask. "Cursed," He explains. "Over the years, people that go up, they don't come back," He says, shaking his head. JJ shakes his head with a scoff, tossing his arm lazily around my shoulders. "Funny," He says. I narrow my eyes. "Funny," He sighs again. I purse my lips, exchanging a glance with him.

~~~~~~

"Welcome to Tres Rocas," JJ says when the bus pulls to a stop. "This place makes the cut look like the Taj Mahal," He says, looking around. "Alright, so, how we gonna find them?" I ask as  everyone piles off the bus. "I'm working on it. Um, look, alright. Tres Rocas is fairly small, alright? Don't worry about, okay? We'll find them, okay?" He nods, taking my hand. "You gotta be kidding me," He says suddenly. I turn, following his gaze up the street to see Cleo, Pope, and Kie sprinting in our direction. 

"We haven't been here for two minutes!" He sighs, gesturing at them. My mouth drops open as I stare. "Como estas, amigos?" JJ laughs, holding his hand out of the open bus window. "What the f...," Pope says, slapping JJ's hand. "Hey!" He shouts suddenly. "We gotta go!" Cleo screams. "Run!" Kie shouts as the three of them pass us. "What?" JJ asks. "We gotta run!" Cleo screams again. "You gotta be kidding me!" He says as we hurry off the bus. 

"Already? We just got here!" I scream after them. "What's happening?" I ask as they meet us on the other side of the bus. "Singh and his men are right behind us," Pope explains. "Are you serious?" JJ asks. "They're after us," Pope says. "We gotta think of a plan," He pants quickly. "Okay, why don't we just... hijack the bus?" JJ asks. "This bus? The one that only goes ten miles an hour?" I hiss at him. "I'm just spitballing, y/n, okay?" He shouts, stressed.

"Guys! Guys! Guys!" Cleo shouts as a jeep screeches to a halt on the other side of the road. "They're coming now, hide!" Pope screams. "Fruit stands, fruit stands! Duck, duck, duck!" Kie hisses as we run past the different stands, pushing people out of the way. "Sorry. Excuse me, sorry," We chorus. "Get down, get down," JJ whispers. "Duck!" Cleo says. We all drop to the floor, hiding against a wall. We watch as they ask strangers for information, looking around. 

Finally, they get back in their jeep, pulling away down the road. We all sigh, sitting back against the wall. "Welcome to South America," Cleo pants.