The Pogue Left Behind

"I can't believe he just took off," Pope says nervously, bouncing his knee as the sun starts to set. Sarah stands at the edge of the deck, searching for him. JJ wraps his arm around my waist again, gently, like he's afraid I'll disappear if he let's go or holds on too hard. I look over my shoulder at the land behind us, also searching for John B.  "Guys! Incoming!" Kie shouts suddenly. "No, no, no," Cleo gasps. 

"That's Singh's men!" She says as we watch multiple four-wheelers and trucks speed across the bridge towards us. "Right there!" She yells. "Where's John B?" Pope yells, turning to Sarah. "I don't know, he said he'd be back by now!" She defends. I bite my lip, terrified. "Okay, well he's not!" Pope shouts. "JJ, what are we gonna do?" He pleads. "We gotta make a stand. That's what we gotta do. That's our only option," He says, slipping a gun out of his pant loop. "What?" I scream. "Y/n, we're not splitting up again!" He yells at me. 

"Guys, ya'll didn't see what I saw! He killed Portis! We can't stay here!" I plead, tears filling my eyes. "Okay, but we're not leaving John B!" JJ shouts. "No Pogue left behind!" Pope agrees. "What are you gonna do?" Sarah screams. "They're hear!" Kie shouts as they round the corner. "Guys! They're getting closer!" I shout, tears streaking my face. "What are we gonna do?" Cleo shouts. "Dammit!" Sarah yells. "We're not splitting up again!" JJ screams as Kie takes the wheel.

"We don't have a choice anymore!" She screams back, reversing the boat. "Go," Pope nods. "John B! John B! We needa get John B!" JJ keeps screaming. "Shut up! Shut up!" Pope screams, trying to hold him back. "We'll find John B later!" Kie promises as Sarah takes the wheel from her, steering us out of the marina. "We can't just leave him like that, Pope!" JJ sobs, still pleading. "JJ! GET DOWN!" I scream at him. We all scream, ducking as shots ring out around us. 

Bullets bounce off the boat as we ride out of the marina, still screaming. "Hold your fire!" Someone finally shouts. I pant heavily, not lifting my head. Slowly, we all stand, watching the retreating figures on the docks. JJ pounds a fist into the of the boat. "Shit," I mutter, running my hands through my hair. "Shit!" I scream. "I'm sorry, John B," Sarah mutters. 

~~~~~~

My mother left when I was three. For the whole time growing up, it was just John B and I and our Pops. In some ways, he was the best father you could imagine. Taught me how to work, and what to do after work. More of a friend than a father. He wasn't overprotective at all. Like any family, we had our moments. The last time John B saw him, they had a big fight. Big John wanted to sell the Twinkie to help him in his search for the Merchant gold. John B had called him an awful dad and Big John told him to never come home. John B rode off in the Twinkie. It's one thing to lose a father. It's another thing to never get to say goodbye. I guess that's why I let him go to the church. Father or not, I'm the only one who knows John B never forgave himself after that fight, and not seeing would only make it worse. 

"So this is what we're doing, huh? We're just... sailing out?" JJ shouts, running his hands through his hair. "We're just gonna forget about John B?" He asks, pacing. "We should never have left him! Alright? We're turning back around!" He says. "No!" Cleo screams. "We're all gonna get caught! What typa plan is that?" She asks. "It's a plan to stick together Cleo!" JJ screams. "Then we are dead together!" She shouts back at him. 

"She's right. We had to leave or we'd all be zip-tied in the back of a pick-up," Kie says. "We did the right thing," She nods to reassure us. Suddenly, the phone I stole starts ringing next to me. "Who's that?" JJ asks as I pick it up. "It's Portis," I whisper. "Portis? That's John B. That's definitely John B!" He grins, jogging over to me. "Hold on," He says, taking the phone from me and answering. "Yo! Yo! Dude, is this you?" JJ asks. 

Mumbling echoes from the other side. "Speaker. Speaker," I hiss anxiously. "Yea, yeah, alright, what do you need? Do you need us to turn around?" JJ asks, still keeping the phone pressed to his ear. He removes it as John B mumbles through the phone, pressing the speaker button. "Yo, say that again, say that again," He says. "I said don't worry about me, okay?" His voice echoes. More scratching echoes through the phone, but the connection is poor and it's hard to hear. "We do not copy. Can you repeat?" JJ asks loudly. "Let me talk to him!" Sarah says, snatching the phone.

"John B?" She asks. "Sarah...," John B's distorted voice glitches. "Are you okay?" She asks. "Yes. Yes, no, I'm fine, everything's good. Listen...," He says. "He's fine. Thank God. What happened?" She asks. John B says a few more words, but it keeps glitching out. "Wait. What did you say?" Sarah asks, holding the speaker close to her ear. "John B?" She asks when he doesn't respond. "Sarah?" He echoes. "I... I... I can't hear you," She groans. "Hello?" John B asks.

"John B?" Sarah asks again. "Just get out of there. I'll meet you on Kildare, okay?" John B asks, his voice glitching out. "Kildare? Kildare, when?" Sarah asks. "Hello?" John B asks. "Kildare-," Sarah doesn't get to finish because the line cuts off, beeping loudly. "Dammit," I hiss. "John B? No, no, no, John B?" Sarah asks. "Kildare. What the hell?" Sarah asks.

"You guys think he found his father?" Cleo asks, looking up at me. "He's been missing for almost a year," Pope shakes his head. "Y/n, what do you think?" Kie asks worriedly. "Should we go back?" She asks. "Y/n- we're sitting ducks right now, so we need to make a decision!" JJ says, stressed. "Are we turning back around, or are we gonna keep going?" He asks. I blink back tears, not able to answer. "Sarah?" JJ begs. "Sarah, come on, we need to make a decision!" He pleads.

"He said go!" Sarah shouts. "Well, hold on. Listen," JJ says. "Go," Sarah repeats. I nod slowly. "Sarah," JJ says. "Go," I agree. Sarah takes the wheel and JJ drops his head, defeated. I slowly walk up to him, cradling his head against my chest. "Shh, it's gonna be okay, he's safe," I whisper, smoothing his hair. "I'm sorry," He whispers, straightening up.

"I'm the one who should be comforting you," He nods, pulling me into his arms. "I-I just...," He mumbles into my hair. "What?" I whisper. He takes my hand, pulling me down a few steps to the further end of the deck. He sits against the nice seats and pillows, pulling me into his side. He shakes his head slowly, trying to find words. "I couldn't think when you were gone. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know if you were alive or dead or if I'd ever see you again. I tried over and over again to save you and I was so blinded by fear that I almost got us killed," He whispers.

I raise my eyebrows. "The first time we jumped the fence into Singh's property, and we were chased out by those wild guard dogs," He mutters. "I guess I never really relaxed once I realized you were safe, and now I'm terrified I'm gonna lose someone else I love," He whispers. "Hey, it's okay," I whisper, brushing the tear from his cheek. I shake my head, trying to be strong for him. "I'm here now, okay?" I whisper, cupping his cheeks between my hands. "And I'm not leaving. Ever," I promise. "John B is safe. We'll meet him in Kildare, and we'll figure this out, step by step," I say. 

"You can't get rid of me now," I smile slightly, pulling my ring up to my lips and kissing it. He grins. "I love you," He whispers. "I love you too," I say, resting my forehead against his. "Those are some nice pajamas you have on," He grins. I smack the top of his head, still laughing.