Finally

Those few days felt like an eternity without Taeyong

Back at The Dragons' mansion, I tried to do as many things as possible in order to keep myself from thinking about him.

I helped Kun in the kitchen and helped Jisung count weapon inventory.  I played video games with Chenle in the den (and got roasted to extra crispy by him).  I even asked Johnny to start training me and regretted it as soon as the words "run 10 miles" came out of his mouth.

With so many people to hang out with and keep track of, I thought I'd forget about Taeyong, but I couldn't.  Whenever the door opened, I expected to see him walk in.

But it wasn't until Friday that the doorbell ring actually turned out to be him.

As soon as he crossed the threshold, it was a race between The Dragons and I to reach him first.

I lost by a lot.

Yuta was first, Johnny second, Ten third, and Taeyong hugged them and greeted them, but when I reached the quickly accumulating group, Taeyong pushed everyone away and hugged me.

I was surprised (and I couldn't breathe from how tight he was squeezing me).

"I missed you so much, Yue," he whispered in my ear.

I knew every single Dragon heard it and my cheeks grew hot.  "I missed you too," I murmured.

Taeyong laughed and loosened his grip, looking around at all his members who were hiding smirks and raised eyebrows.  I think I saw money pass through a few hands.  "It's nice to be back!  Have you all been cleaning your weapons and remembering to eat?"

All the members shifted their feet.  A few grinned guiltily, including characteristically stony-faced Jeno.

"I've been reminding them," I said, proudly.

"You shouldn't have to, Yue," Taeyong told me, affectionately.  "They're grown men."

"Hella cute ones," YangYang piped up.

Jungwoo snorted.  "Yeah, Chief.  Give us some slack.  Mingyue's a pretty good deputy Chief."

"Has she even learned what a pre-op is?"

I winced.  Okay, so I hadn't exactly been studying up on my mafia terminology.  "When will I need to know that anyway?"

Taeyong only snickered.  "Now that I'm back in the game, everyone needs to be at full operations again.  Kun, you're literally supposed to be on patrol right now."

"Sorry Chief," Kun said, not sounding sorry at all.

"Get out there!"  Taeyong appraised each and every member once more.  "I'll be in my office if you need me.  I'm sure there's a shitload of emails I have to respond to."

***

Later that night, Taeyong found me in my room taking my makeup off (because I went out to dinner with Heejin).

"My God Jihyo, will you knock next time?" I teased.

"Give it a rest, Yue.  We've slept in the same bed.  With clothes on, sure, but-"

Against my will, my face flushed.  "I don't need to be reminded."

"Maybe I need to be reminded," Taeyong replied, quirking an eyebrow.

"You're the worst."

"You know you love me."

"I hope you love me too."

Taeyong only gazed back at me, as if trying to memorize every detail of my face, my body, my soul.  "Of course I love you."

I desperately wanted to touch him, to make sure he was real and that he'd never go away again.  But he needed to explain something first.

"You never told me about Yesol."

Taeyong sighed and massaged his chest, like an old wound was flaring up.  "That was not the first bullet Yesol's put through my body.  After I rejected her plan, Yesol shot me twice and left me by the side of the road for my members to find.  Thankfully, Yuta, Jaehyun, and Haechan are excellent at healing—and keeping secrets.  I'm sorry I never told you about her."

"Taeyong," I said, "I understand.  Are there any other secrets you're keeping from me?"

"I'm a mafia boss.  I work in secrets, but I promise I'll be as transparent to you as glass."

I smiled at him.  "Thank you."

"I should be the one thanking you," Taeyong said, in a low voice.

"What for?"

"For not giving up on living."

"I will never give up on you," I swore.  "Never."

Taeyong cupped my face with one hand and brought my face closer to his.

Right before our lips touched, he promised, "Til death do us part."

***

And that completes Til Death Do Us Part!  Upon the posting of this final chapter, there are 1187 views, 152 stars, 140 comments, and this is the 32nd chapter.  Thank you to everyone who supported me!  I can't believe... well everything.  This was my second chance and now I just hope I'm not a one hit wonder.

Feel free to ask me any questions about anything, personal, writing, kpop, hot food takes, etc. (no I will not be spoiling future plots) →

Now, I have a question for you, dear reader:

Anything I can improve on?  →