We Dye Hair and I Die Inside

The day had felt so long, sitting for hours in a car with only one other person to keep my company

The day had felt so long, sitting for hours in a car with only one other person to keep my company. As hot water ran through my hair and fingers, I tried not to think about the man just a wall away.

Were we strangers still? I'd never had any friend who knew so much about me.

During the car ride, I'd told him all of my favorite things, what I wanted to do in the future, who I wanted to be with. Hell, I'd told him how many children I wanted to have!

And I knew all these things about Taeyong too.

So were we friends?

I certainly wanted to be more than friends.

A knock sounded on the door, startling me out of my shower thoughts. "Don't use up all the hot water, Yue!" Taeyong said.

"I've only been in here for ten minutes, douchebag!" I called back. "Let a girl wash her hair in peace!"

"...Fine."

I finished up quickly, feeling like a new person as I blow-dried my hair.

"I'm done!"

I opened the door to find Taeyong on the motel bed—shirtless. Holy shit.

My mouth went dry. "Uh..."

"Enjoying the view?" Taeyong asked, winking at me.

I averted my eyes, demanding my cheeks not to heat up. "You wish, you self-absorbed asshole."

"Ooh, the name calling is back." Taeyong got up off the bed. "My turn to shower and then we can get to this hair dyeing business."

He disappeared into the bathroom with his own clothes.

While I waited, I inspected the hair dye that dominated our shared dresser. Mostly bleach, but also some fun colors. I had thought about dyeing my hair before, but my profession had never allowed it. Traditional performing arts companies disapproved of anything other than natural hair and makeup.

But I was no longer Mingyue, I was Seulgi Nam, and I could do whatever the fuck I wanted.

"Mingyue?" Taeyong's head popped out of the bathroom door, his dark hair still wet and his shirt still missing.

I turned away from the hair dye. "Yeah?"

"There's a shopping bag that has a bowl and some brushes. Could you get them? I'll get the bleach."

Soon, I was sitting on a chair in the middle of the motel's tiny bathroom with a hairdresser's cape around my neck.

"Have you ever done this before?" I asked, as Taeyong clipped sections of my hair off. I was nervous, since I'd heard that bleach burned skin.

Taeyong chuckled. "Who do you think dyes my members' hair? They seem to have an addiction to hair dye. Haechan and Yuta's scalps are practically fried by this point."