Now That Was The Worst Date Ever

It was yet another day of work wasted as I spent the afternoon chilling next to The Dragons' outdoor pool chewing my nails in anxiety

It was yet another day of work wasted as I spent the afternoon chilling next to The Dragons' outdoor pool chewing my nails in anxiety.  Even though it was barely the warm side of spring, many of The Dragons laughed and splashed around in the water.

As much as I wanted to feel the sun on my skin and play around with hot guys wearing very little clothing, I kept away from the water, unable to relax.

Taeyong finally called everyone to a meeting at the end of the day, still dressed in a real-looking police uniform.  Apparently by "Call the police," Haechan really meant to call The Dragons.  Also, the police disguises were definitely illegal.  Where was this illegal-legal line drawn anyway?

"Your stagehand, Xiumin, was shot violently to death," Taeyong said gravely.  "Doyoung is still getting it cleaned up.  You might want new wallpaper."

I shuddered.

"The murderer managed to not leave any tracks that might incriminate them, but Xiumin was found holding a note addressed personally to the Chief of The Dragons."

Everyone gasped at the same time, so it sounded like the room was breathing.

"Apparently, these murders will continue to happen one by one until we willingly give Mingyue up."

Taeyong's gaze bounced around the room, bright and sharp.  When it fell on me, the other members turned to look at me.

Being stared at made me uncomfortable.  Why was I so valuable anyway?

"This is nonnegotiable, of course," Taeyong continued.

I looked around at all the faces staring at me.  "Does that mean you're turning me over?"

"Quite the opposite."  Taeyong stood up and began to pace.  I'd never seen him so agitated before.  "I have no idea why they'd waste such resources, but we also know that they are a fairly small organization.  After about 4-5 more murders, they won't be able to continue because they will be traced back by the police.  Also, they might get the Elders' attention.  What we need to do now is catch this Phantom member in Mingyue's staff before anyone else can be killed."

"Of course," I said automatically.  "So what's the plan now?"

Taeyong put his hands on the table between Johnny's intimidating height and Jeno's ice cold features, looking even more like a fierce wolf ready to enact vengeance.  "This date with Junhyung has to happen now."

***

The only new variable in the plan was JiU.

JiU refused to go anywhere without me, and being a hater of confrontation like I was, I couldn't just let her go around by herself.  The girl was so shaken, but so eager to go back to work.  I'd never known her to be so enthusiastic about the theater, but if anything could make someone fall in love with art, it was the magic of my theater.